Anyone have any regrets from their past

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
Ive been asked this and the only regret I ever had in my 39 years is not finishing college. I went post secondary, which is going to college in place of your junior and senior year of high school. I was 2 classes (7 credits) away from graduating with a major in Fisheries and a minor in Forestry. I decided to go back to high school and spend the last quarter of it with my friends. I never did finish my degree.

I did look into finishing it about 8 years ago. Even spoke with my old professor's which was fun to catch up. There are only 4 colleges in the state of MN that offer this program and none of them are close enough for me. Sadly I would of had to retake everything on top of it. So it just didnt pay for me to sign back up. I was out of college to long and the courses have changed.

That is my only regret in my life, because I would like to be out in the wilderness doing what I love to do.

Curious if anyone else had anything they regretted in their life?

The major regret that I have, is that I never attended the Air Force Academy. I am the son of a lifetime Air Force NCO. Spent all of my life before age 12 overseas on various assignments with my family. My grades were really above average, and I really felt like I wanted to fly for a living as an Air Force officer. Somehow when we got back to the States in 69 , I sort of lost my vision. Got mixed up in teenage life here in America and my grades were not up to snuff. I have flown several small planes over the years that friends of mine would own from time to time. Really enjoyed it. All that being said, I would probably never would have stayed here in Maryland and met the love of my life. We have been together since 1973, and Married since 1980, with 3 wonderful kids. Also, probably never would have been in business for myself. Despite the shortcomings, GOD has been good to me and my family.

im much more worried about my future regrets then my past ones

my oldest daughter worked her way thru college and graduated in "97 wit h a degree in sports phy therapy. never really used that degree. she wanted to be an elem school teacher, went back to school 4-5 years ago, and got her degree in educ. just got her MA this month. not sure what her college debt is after her second trip to college!! LOL , BUT she is now doing what she loves. she is 39.
I guess sometimes the clock leaves us behind in what we think we should have done way back. maybe a person can find a way later in life to pursue those lifetime interests and goals. it may not be the job of first choice, may not pay what ya expect, BUT sometimes ya got to weigh the $$$ against doing what ya want to do in life, before its too late????
on personal note, I've made too many mistakes to list.

Mitch,

I was close to going to the Academy also. I tried to join the Air Force as well to be a pilot and sadly I missed the pilots test by 1 point. Tried everything I could to retake the test and they would not let me. So I refused to sign. Not a regret, but was bummed out that I didnt get to fly. I did however get some pilot time in and acquired my solo license.

Im am happy to say that I dont regret anything else in my life and I do feel blessed with what I have been given, even though its not everything I have always wanted my life to be.

Although I've had far from a perfect life I really regret nothing I had any control over.Everything in my life had a purpose good or bad. I see no reason to worry about the past but choose to look forward instead.

I think we have all had some regrets of some sort to speak of. It's just doing the things in life
that make you happy and feel complete. We can't change the past, only try to make the right
choices moving forward.

More than I want to think about! Way too many to list here. One that I really regret is not spending a lot more time with my dad lost him way to soon.

I use to regret not buying 2 '69 Chevelle projects for $2,500 but then one day I realized, had I bought the Chevelle's I wouldn't have gotten my 75 Scamp and therefore I wouldn't have joined FABO and probably wouldn't've noticed A-bodies like I do!! That all being said I still want a 68 or 69 Chevelle someday.

Many Many Regrets. Can't change the past but we can learn something from them for the future.

I use to regret not buying 2 '69 Chevelle projects for $2,500 but then one day I realized, had I bought the Chevelle's I wouldn't have gotten my 75 Scamp and therefore I wouldn't have joined FABO and probably wouldn't've noticed A-bodies like I do!! That all being said I still want a 68 or 69 Chevelle someday.

does that make you a "closet chevy guy"!???? I think the gov't should buy ya a '69 chevelle and pay for the resto, and give ya a tax break too! LOL
wait a minute, that sounds like a tax break for the wealthy! LOL
O K I admit it. I would like to have a 66 396 375 hp chevelle, maroon, white buckets, Muncie, but then again I can't stand the rear end with those funky coil springs!!LOL!

Of course ... everybody does. I call them the "would'a, could'a, should'a's"

Wish I "would'a, could'a and should'a" invested and kept some Hemi E-bodies. I managed to land one, but it didn't take long before I had to release it back into the wild.

In late '83 I got a '70 HemiCuda that I scrimped, saved, and borrowed to get. Then in late '86 I met a hot blonde who was "the one". Shortly thereafter there was an engagement, a wedding, and kids - goodby HemiCuda. Simply couldn't afford to keep both the Fish and a family.

In retrospect, I should have played with the blonde until the dreaded "L-word" came up and then said "see ya!" as I roared off in the Cuda. LOL! Just kidding. 28 years later I'm still married to that blonde and she still rocks! But I must admit, I often think about the Fish that I had and let go ...

Should have learned to play the guitar when I was a kid instead of now. Better late than never, I guess. And I should have tried my hand at writing, short stories, books whatever. And gotten into Mopars well before I did - I've always loved them but only got my Duster a couple of years ago.

Other than that though, I have a good life that I am thankful for.

Steve

1. Didn't try hard enough in college.
2. Didn't date enough-mostly due to always being broke.
3. Don't save enough money.
4. Didn't kiss butt &/or play nice with the jerks at work and advance much faster in rank. There are plenty of opportunities for people to power-trip in the service.
5. TIME & TIME AGAIN I should have kept my mouth shut at unrealized key points in life.-There are many times that I did successfully, & quite a few I did not.
6. I should not have driven as foolishly as I have in the past.
7. I wish I knew better how to avoid being ripped off in this hobby.
8. I wish I knew ignition trouble shooting better-have been stranded a few times.
9. I got conned a bunch time & again in the process of joining the Navy, (despite interviewing several military personnel from all branches) I regret getting stuck on Trident submarines, which do not travel to any ports at all-the major benefit of being in the Navy.

The only one I really think about is not staying in the Air Force longer.

I retired after 21 years. Was an instructor supervisor in the electronics schoolhouse and was an E-7 on track for E-8. But the "kids" coming from boot camp made me feel old. I haven't been able to duplicate the feeling of satisfaction that I had while serving. I should have stayed, made E-9 and then retired with a bigger monthly pension to fund my MOPAR disease!

Other than that, I don't really have any regrets...always tried to live life with abandon. Life is like a buffet line that you only get through once...top off your plate, fill your cup, and stuff a few rolls in your pockets!!

I have tons of regrets, but I also have tons of other great things that came along as a result of the changes in my life BECAUSE OF THOSE REGRETS that I got to experience.

Only one regret that still bothers me a bit on a regular basis: I feel like I should have married an old girlfriend who died from leukemia at the age of 30. She loved me with all her heart and I told her I wasn't really sure if she was the right one for me. She was beautiful and had a young daughter too, whose dad was a true piece of ****. She got diagnosed about a month after I broke it off with her and we remained friends til the end but she didn't want me to come back to her only because she was sick. Sitting with her daughter and all of her family at her funeral was the hardest thing I have ever went through even though they all treated me great and told me how much they all loved me for the time I spent with her and how happy I had made her before she got sick. I can't even begin to describe the level of guilt I still feel from time to time. More like I feel like I was too selfish perhaps. The young girls dad eventually signed over his rights as a parent to my girlfriend's parents who ended up raising her in a very loving home.

There you have it... That was back in 2001.

-
Back