Anyone have infor on Cleaner Air Package air cleaner for a 65 Valiant?

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
I've got a 170 in my 65 Valiant and currently it has the small 6 inch air cleaner and air filter on it running the original type Holley 1920. I just wanted it to be different so I bought a Cleaner Air Package air cleaner off of EBAY that was said to be for a 66 Valiant with a Slant Six. When I tried it on the throat of my Holley 1920 the baseplate will fit but you have to center it, it's not as snug as the original 6 inch air cleaner baseplate. Also the filter is much large probably 10 inch. If I added the air filter on the baseplate and bolted the cover down there would be a gap between the filter and the baseplate. Now is this correct for a Cleaner air package air cleaner? Because I'm wondering did this actually come off of a 273 2bbl. They didn't claim it to be from a 273 plus it was only $20. The original 170 6 inch air cleaner is tight and restrictive. Is the Cleaner Air Package air cleaner suppose to bring in more air with the gap between the filter and baseplate? Anyone have pics of their originally equipped Slant Six with CAP? Is that all there was for California emissions back in 65?

I can not help with the Valiant question, but on my 64 Ford 289 the air cleaner had a hot ait choke tube from exhaust manifold to air cleaner. This allowed the engine to run on preheated air till the valve opened up to cool outside air around the time of coming off the choke. Not true emissions, but more of better cold running time. Yours might be something like this in 65.
Also someone should have the REAL answer to your question up soon.

I would bet money that was not original on a 64 Ford

You would have lost that bet. Tube was bent metal(hot air tube) It did not have duct from air cleaner to outside air, those came later in history.
BUT can you answer OP question?

As I recall the clean air package for 1965/1966 was just an air breather that also had a nipple that attached to the oil cap with a section of hose. So instead of the car drawing fresh air in through the oil cap while the pcv was sucking, it now drew air in through the oil cap via the inside of the air breather. I would suggest you download the available 66 fsm since they do show detailed diagrams and pictures of this.

-
Back