Anyone here using Comp Cam XE275HL

-

duster360

Reaction score
Anyone here running a Comp Cam XE275HL camshaft in a small block?

Anyone here running a Comp Cam XE275HL camshaft in a small block?
I have it for my rb, though am yet to put it together....whats your question?
HotRod did a a cam change using a 3 year old build w RPM heads made 560/620 on a well worn 440...

All the cams I have had in the past were cut on a 112* lobe separation. The XE275HL has a 110* and idles way rougher ( engine shake ) than my other cams. Looking to see if someone might have a video of their engine idling with this cam to make sure I don't have any kind of issues.

All the cams I have had in the past were cut on a 112* lobe separation. The XE275HL has a 110* and idles way rougher ( engine shake ) than my other cams. Looking to see if someone might have a video of their engine idling with this cam to make sure I don't have any kind of issues.

I have a 274-S solid cam. It's 110. But I'm running it in a 4" 416 motor that soaks up cam.

so its not a direct answer to your question, when i bought my car last year it had the XE285HL cam in it, which is a bit more lift then what you have, plus 1.6 roller rockers. it is a rough idle, i do have a video i can give you of this setup. but it my initial fire up on the fitech and i still have to adjust the iac to get the rpm's down, the video is 1200 rpms or so. just let me know.

Kris

(for what its worth i think the cam you have is a better street cam then the one i have, when i do a rebuild i will be going in another direction with the setup)

i do know this guy here has got this cam, its a .030" over 360.

I´planned to put it into my brothers Magnum headed 340, but unfortunately the springs are not suitable for the Lift with 1.6 rockers (coil bind).

Michael

so its not a direct answer to your question, when i bought my car last year it had the XE285HL cam in it, which is a bit more lift then what you have, plus 1.6 roller rockers. it is a rough idle, i do have a video i can give you of this setup. but it my initial fire up on the fitech and i still have to adjust the iac to get the rpm's down, the video is 1200 rpms or so. just let me know.

Kris

(for what its worth i think the cam you have is a better street cam then the one i have, when i do a rebuild i will be going in another direction with the setup)

Yes, I would like to se the video.

i do know this guy here has got this cam, its a .030" over 360.

I´planned to put it into my brothers Magnum headed 340, but unfortunately the springs are not suitable for the Lift with 1.6 rockers (coil bind).

Michael

Thanks for the video. That I what I needed. It shakes like mine. Guess I am not used to that 110* lobe separation.

sorry, no video of the engine bay, i may be able to get one this weekend when i start tuning on the fitech.

sorry, no video of the engine bay, i may be able to get one this weekend when i start tuning on the fitech.

No worries here. Sounds good. Yes, post an underhood once you get it sorted out. I am jealous of the Strange 60 under there.

No worries here. Sounds good. Yes, post an underhood once you get it sorted out. I am jealous of the Strange 60 under there.
thanks man, an will do! the strange is definitely a beast, probably way overkill, but rather be overkill than no kill.........LOL

Thanks for the video. That I what I needed. It shakes like mine. Guess I am not used to that 110* lobe separation.

I've seen people order a XE cam directly from Comp and have it custom ground on a 112* centerline. Loose a little power. But on the street with a stock type suspension, probably not going to be able to put all that power to the ground anyways. Easier to tune at idle, easier to tune "off-idle" just putting around town. And just calmer idle.

I've seen people order a XE cam directly from Comp and have it custom ground on a 112* centerline. Loose a little power. But on the street with a stock type suspension, probably not going to be able to put all that power to the ground anyways. Easier to tune at idle, easier to tune "off-idle" just putting around town. And just calmer idle.
After driving it, I can see why they would do that. My car is a 4 speed, so it is a little jumpy at times.

After driving it, I can see why they would do that. My car is a 4 speed, so it is a little jumpy at times.

I have a Barry grant silver claw carb with adjustable throttle blades. Adjusting the blade position exposes the idle slot and helps adjust off idle stumble. That and float adjustment helped a lot with tuning. Also going from champions to autolites helped me a tad and seemed to last longer.

I have a Barry grant silver claw carb with adjustable throttle blades. Adjusting the blade position exposes the idle slot and helps adjust off idle stumble. That and float adjustment helped a lot with tuning. Also going from champions to autolites helped me a tad and seemed to last longer.
Glad you brought that up. Earlier today I was reading ajforms T-port sync article.

-
Back