Anyone interested in some 4140 main caps for a 360?

-

Guitar Jones

aka Angry Johnny
Reaction score
After seeing Mike at MRL Performances post about his main caps and girdle able to take a stock block with a 4" fill safely to 700 horsepower I contacted Mike about a set. Unfortunately he no longer offers them as he can't find a supplier reasonably. I have found someone willing to produce the caps (a modified BCR cap, not Mike's) and I'm trying to gauge the interest in them. He has no problem running just one set but if he could run several sets at once it would make them a little more cost effective.

I don't have pricing as of yet but it sure would be cheaper than an R or a Ritter block. These are two bolt caps that would be used with a Hughes girdle kit. With all the stroker 360's being built now I would think this would be a worthwhile and peace of mind modification.

Interesting. Don't think I have the cash for those babies though. I'm staying tuned to this bat channel!

Just got the pricing, $450 plus shipping of course for four caps. If I can get at least 5 buyers the price drops to $350 per set. These caps will be flat all the way across so the main girdle will have full contact with the cap. He can do 360 or 340 main size also. Any takers?

I always thought it was the cylinders that were the weak point on the LA blocks, not the caps? From what I have "read" it seems cylinders crack which is the more serious issue over some cap walk??

Im just wondering how much the caps would make a difference is all. I just did a little over a half fill on my 360, running stock bolts and caps...hopefully it holds up to 700hp at the crank LOL

You'll have to decide for yourself, I'm not making them or selling them just getting them done. Here is what Jerry at SD Concepts replied.

I can make steel or aluminum. everyone can order direct and if you have 3 people already i'll suck it up and make the other two sets to put on the shelf. I would like everyones contact info and credit card info so as soon as they are ready we can ship. we don't bill anything until the parts are ready to go to ups

I don't think you can ask for better than that. Here's the link or PM me for the phone number.

www.sdconcepts.com

Would these help a car that has a cast crank? I'm realizing that I should have gone forged with a NA setup of 500-530 and wanting to spay it.

Well it will probably not hurt the caps when the crank breaks. Why don't you sell your cast crank and get a forged unit?

Only two sets left from this run guys. If you want anything other than a 360 main steel cap you need to order soon.

Well it will probably not hurt the caps when the crank breaks. Why don't you sell your cast crank and get a forged unit?

Only two sets left from this run guys. If you want anything other than a 360 main steel cap you need to order soon.

I Just paid 300 to have it balanced with my stuff... :(

hey guys, just wanted to touch base with everyone here. if there are any questions i will be more than happy answer them either here on the site or on the phone. we are also shipping caps world wide. look forward to hearing from everyone.

thanks
Jerry

hey guys, just wanted to touch base with everyone here. if there are any questions i will be more than happy answer them either here on the site or on the phone. we are also shipping caps world wide. look forward to hearing from everyone.

thanks
Jerry

Thanks for coming on here Jerry and introducing youself. Let us know when the magazine with your article in it will be out. There's a bunch of good guys here that don't frequent Moparts.

I Just paid 300 to have it balanced with my stuff... :(

Look at it this way, so say you lose 3 or 4 hundred dollars now, that's still a lot cheaper than scattering that engine and losing what, 2,3 or 4 thousand dollars? Just sayin' because I've been there and done that, got the wall of shame to prove it too.

Just wanted to follow up with everyone. we had a really go response to the first order of the small block main caps. we are currently finishing the programming and these will be going on the cnc on wednesday. prototypes will be done on friday and the first productions units will start no later than monday. most of the customers want 4140 steel. some are going for aluminum. i will post some pics as soon as i get the first ones off the machine.

thanks

Jerry

-
Back