Anyone know about International Scouts???

-

DentalDart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My wife’s dream old car is an International Scout, red paint white top and white interior…

Well one popped up for sale 10 minutes from me and who would have guessed - red paint, white top, white interior… decent price but I know nothing about Scouts or valuations of scouts… price seems to be fair, maybe a little high.

Only problem is I was supposed to buy a tractor this week… sucks to be my bank account or one of my Mopars huh.

IMG_6645.jpeg

IMG_6646.jpeg

IMG_6647.jpeg

IMG_6590.png

IMG_6593.png

IMG_6591.png

IMG_6592.png

"GMC IH scout"... I never knew they had any affiliation w/GMC, sounds like the seller (owner?) really has no idea what they were.

I know 3 things about IHC scouts. They were cool. And I want one. And that it won't happen in this lifetime.
Back in the early/ mid 70s my dad had a 69 Travelall. I was between about 5 and 8 or so when we had that one so I know almost nothing about the specs of the actual one we had other than it was white with black interior and it didn't seem like we had that thing as long as some of the vehicles we had.

I think they (I.H.) were a pretty good truck. We had a customer who had one just like this, a 1970 model 800, I believe. 304 V8 stick shift. It was a rust bucket, (I live in the rust belt) but it was a pretty stout little truck. For the money they are asking, $25,000? that thing should be MINT. It's not bad but it's far from mint. At half that price it might be a good deal. Check it over really good first.

Last edited:
Make SURE to inspect it CLOSELY for rust as they were total rust buckets. Just no denying it.

"GMC IH scout"... I never knew they had any affiliation w/GMC, sounds like the seller (owner?) really has no idea what they were.

I know 3 things about IHC scouts. They were cool. And I want one. And that it won't happen in this lifetime.
Back in the early/ mid 70s my dad had a 69 Travelall. I was between about 5 and 8 or so when we had that one so I know almost nothing about the specs of the actual one we had other than it was white with black interior and it didn't seem like we had that thing as long as some of the vehicles we had.

Seller doesn’t know much about it. It’s a girls friends grandpas car, he bought it in the late 80s or something like that l and that he gave to her a long while ago. She has like 7 kids and needs a newer van

It hasn’t been driven much in the past 2 years. Sits in a driveway.

Seller doesn’t know much about it. It’s a girls friends grandpas car, he bought it in the late 80s or something like that l and that he gave to her a long while ago. She has like 7 kids and needs a newer van

It hasn’t been driven much in the past 2 years. Sits in a driveway.
General Motors had nothing to do with IH.

Make SURE to inspect it CLOSELY for rust as they were total rust buckets. Just no denying it.

Yeah they had tons of rust! This one has a touch of surface rust on the underbody and in the drivers floor pan. That’s all I found.

IMG_6649.jpeg

I think they (I.H.) were a pretty good truck. We had a customer who had one just like this, a 1970 model 800, I believe. 304 V8 stick shift. I was a rust bucket, (I live in the rust belt) but it was a pretty stout little truck. For the money they are asking, $25,000? that thing should be MINT. It's not bad but it's far from mint. At half that price it might be a good deal. Check it over really good first.

From the BAT and online valuation tools it seems 15-18k on #3 condition and around 25k for #2 condition. Most of the ones for sale I find around the country for 25-35k look like this one.

I was thinking 18ish k…

My uncle had one with a straight six, it ran decent and burned oil, but it never quit.
We talked many times about swapping a small block into it. Unfortunately, he gave out before the truck did, it was sold, and I don't know where it ended up.

I was supposed to buy a tractor this week
That would / could be your tractor. Plow fields, push snow, maybe not for mowing lawns.
I grew up in a 70 model. 55mph is about top speed. Kids freeze in the back. Go about anywhere.
They started coming out of the woodwork with the past Bronco craze. Nice examples bring pretty good coin.

That would / could be your tractor. Plow fields, push snow, maybe not for mowing lawns.
I grew up in a 70 model. 55mph is about top speed. Kids freeze in the back. Go about anywhere.
They started coming out of the woodwork with the past Bronco craze. Nice examples bring pretty good coin.

Oh I’ll still probably buy a tractor… I have a lot of stuff going on around the property

Yeah real nice ones are very costly, like you said the bronco craze drove up prices and now people who can’t afford the 100k broncos are looking for scouts lol.

I thought of that, take a magnet to look for bondo right?
Yes sir. Find a known good spot and then when you think you see a suspected area you can test that and have a comparison.

My uncle had one with a straight six, it ran decent and burned oil, but it never quit.
We talked many times about swapping a small block into it. Unfortunately, he gave out before the truck did, it was sold, and I don't know where it ended up.

My grandpa had some at his cabin and his farm property in Utah and Nevada. One hadn’t been started in probably 10 years, it just sat in the field. grabbed some moly mystery oil and some gas and no lie that thing fired right up. It’s probably still sitting in that field.

For 18k how many haven't been driven for years? Scouts have kind of blown up in recent years so values tend to be high now, but it's all relative. Online auctions have other fees and so the prices aren't perfectly relevant to a private sale.

If you see some rust, there's lots more. Most years for the scouts had no galvanizing (a buddy is super into the). The sheet metal tends to be stupid simple, but that's as much bad as good. Patch panels are easy to insert and hide. Plus, that area you're calling surface rust looks a lot worse to me. It's bubbly and rough. May not be cancerous, but those areas have probably lost a good amount of thickness. Plus the way the joints were done often means the worst areas are invisible until they crumble.

My buddy had a friend who bought a scout ii and he wound up replacing the whole front and rear floors once he dug into it. The visible stuff looked about like your photos from what I recall, and it was a desert car too!

I think with all that in mind, I'd be thinking $12-15. I think $18 would be OK if it hadn't been parked for some years (thinking about tires, belts, hoses, etc) and if there was no real rust except on fastener heads. Just my $.02

Ask yourself how reliable is it gonna be for the wife? It's nice, but no way that's a 25k truck. Put it this way what would an equivalent Mopar truck for $25k look like? For comparison sake? I know nothing of IH, but I'll put $10-12 k. Like Dana said I bet parts are scarce.

Ask yourself how reliable is it gonna be for the wife? It's nice, but no way that's a 25k truck. Put it this way what would an equivalent Mopar truck for $25k look like? For comparison sake? I know nothing of IH, but I'll put $10-12 k. Like Dana said I bet parts are scarce.
Their drive trains are some serious sheeot, but your point is a good one. Also, I'll add this. IH gas engines were also notorious for leaking from every available seal and gasket and I think they made some new ones up. lol

But that doesn't mean they were bad vehicles. Quite the contrary. They were tanks. I agree that one is seriously over priced, though.

Their drive trains are some serious sheeot, but your point is a good one. Also, I'll add this. IH gas engines were also notorious for leaking from every available seal and gasket and I think they made some new ones up. lol

But that doesn't mean they were bad vehicles. Quite the contrary. They were tanks. I agree that one is seriously over priced, though.

This one started right up with a new battery and cables today. :thumbsup:

-
Back