Anyone know anything about large sector steering boxes/pitman arms?

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Hey All:

Well, just my luck I managed to pick up a large sector manual box for the Dart. Of course also, I didn't know this until I had it in the car.

Anyways, because it's large sector my original small sector pitman arm will not work.

Supposedly, 1973 or 1974 and up power steering cars used a large sector pitman arm. If I get one of those, do you know if it will work with the large sector manual box in my 1971 Dart?

Supposedly, a 1974 Dart with manual steering uses the same pitman arm that I've got now.

I guess a better question to ask might be: what is different between manual and power steering on a 1974 Dart, other than the Pitman arm?

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Hey All:

Well, just my luck I managed to pick up a large sector manual box for the Dart. Of course also, I didn't know this until I had it in the car.

Anyways, because it's large sector my original small sector pitman arm will not work.

Supposedly, 1973 or 1974 and up power steering cars used a large sector pitman arm. If I get one of those, do you know if it will work with the large sector manual box in my 1971 Dart?

Supposedly, a 1974 Dart with manual steering uses the same pitman arm that I've got now.

I guess a better question to ask might be: what is different between manual and power steering on a 1974 Dart, other than the Pitman arm?

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Do you have a picture of the top of the manual box? I wonder if it is a C-body box.
If you change to large sector and get the large sector pitman, you will need any 73-76 A-body centerlink (/6 & V-8 are same) and a 73-76 A-body idler arm. This is because the large sector pitman points up. And the 72 and down points down. As do their corresponding idlers and centerlinks.

I did this in my 68 Barracuda for years. I ran a 74 up large sector power steering box in my 68, but had to run a 73-76 A-body centerlink and idler.

Ugh. That's not good. I don't imagine finding a center link is going to be easy.

I think I'll just start the hunt for a different steering box.

Thanks VERY MUCH for the information.

Steve

All you have to do is get a 73 B body pitman arm and bolt it on. The link end is the same as 72 back. Been there done that.

O 'reilly's shows the 73-up B-Body pitman arm as being the same thing as a power steering 74 dart. It would be really cool if all I had to do was get a different pitman arm.

All you have to do is get a 73 B body pitman arm and bolt it on. The link end is the same as 72 back. Been there done that.

Have you done that to an A-body or was it a B or E body?

The B/E Bodies did not change the direction of the idler and pitman studs in 1972 to 1973.

According to the pics over at Bigblockdart, I've got a C-body steering box. How I always manage to end up with the problem stuff is beyond me.

Have you done that to an A-body or was it a B or E body?

The B/E Bodies did not change the direction of the idler and pitman studs in 1972 to 1973.

That's weird, because at least according to O'reilly's, the 73 B Body Pitman arm is the same part# as a 74 power steering Dart Pitman arm.

Crackedback: I have a supposed solution showing up Wednesday. If it doesn't work out, I'll be very interested in that center link.

Thanks guys

Well, I got the 73 B-Bpdy pitman arm. It looks like it might work if I install it upside down. Of course, it probably won't since the hole in the center link is certainly tapered, and doing it upside down would have the taper going the wrong way.

Hey, I know this is an old thread but do you still have that C body box? I'm trying to convert a 66 300 to manual and need the large sector box

-
Back