Anyone know my carb jet size?

-

redneckmba

Reaction score
I have a 74 Valiant with a 318. It has the stock 2 bbl carb - it's a Carter BBD #8028. Does anyone know what jet size (jet#) is stock in this carb?

I want to order the next larger size jets and have them available for when I o'haul the carb.

its been soooo long since I tore one apart, I used to play with those on my warmed up slant..... it was off a '74 318 motor, compare orifice to holley jet for size reference?? so that at least you know where you are and which way is which?

they are very small and stamped on the top edge, might have been more then 2 digits I think as well...in fact, I think the jets are the same for all...so no changing there HOWEVER the rods are diff for some app's....so typically if you have a lean/rich cruise...you would stick smaller rod in there and or one with a diff step to it as well, since if I remember right the rods have a step so as they pull up during power mode...they will give a richer mix sooner or later...i really dont think there r diff springs to change the rate there bu im no carter 2brl guru.

Yes. Appreciate the info. I can order different sized jets for this carb from some specialty vendors.

To get the current jet size I have to tear into the carb to find the numbers. I was hoping someone knows the jet size before I tear into the carb so I could have the larger jets available when I do the deed.

Are alternate step rods available? Perhaps out of an earlier year?

I am a recent owner of this car. I drove a 74 Valiant with a 318 years ago. My car is "hurting" compared to the almost new vehicle I drove years ago. I ran a bunch of gasoline detergent through my current car and performance has improved greatly, but is still lacking.

It was 51 degrees here this morning in Louisiana. The hesitation in this car until it fully warmed up was surprizing. First time I have driven the car in this cold of a temperature. I know I have carb/choke problems.

I also want to correct the "lean and retard" calibration typical of 1974 models. I got some lighter springs for the centrifugal advance. I'm looking to reverse the "lean."

i think it only has a 392 on the jet, it comes outt with a flat head screwdriver...after the piston and rods are removed along with the the upper half of the carb body.

i used to sand paper the rods down some for a richer cruise, but there is an arm that lifts the rods up and out of the jets, they can be adjusted to pull out/richen sooner

I found this "out there."

JETS: Jet hole sizes are in 0.003" increments, and range from 0.071" to 0.116"
JET NUMBERING: Carter - First digit is 3 or 4, 3 if jet < 0.100" and 4 if jet is => 0.100" The last two digits are the same as the jets' hundredths and thousandths. Example: Jet # 371 = 0.071", #401 = 0.101" Edelbrock has jets up to 0.116" (#1434). The part numbering is different than Carter

So if your memory is correct, I have 0.092" jets.

I just ordered new 0.095" jets off of Ebay. If your memory is incorrect, I'm out all of $10.00 (which includes shipping). Do you feel lucky today, Punk? Well, do you?:D

Thank-you for the help.

there is an arm that lifts the rods up and out of the jets, they can be adjusted to pull out/richen sooner

I did this very thing to adjust my daughter's 1974 Dart Custom with a 318. The adjustment is easy to do since the top plate is easily removed and all it takes to adjust the spring lift is a small screw driver. I made small adjustments (1/4 turn) until the carb gave good response throughout acceleration. I knew I had it right when she came back a few hours later and said "Look what I can do Dad!" and she lit up a one-legger burnout.

Great!

My beast has no pull in second gear. That, and from the hesitation I had today with the cool weather, I can tell some adjustments/changes are needed.

Waiting on new jets and the o'haul kit so I can go into the carb. I have some new advance springs. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=161055

Gotta get rid of the "lean and retard" to get this machine to do what it should with a 318. If I am happy, I will skip changing to a 4 bbl. I'm a really conservative driver. Don't think I have ever left rubber on purpose.

-
Back