Anyone know of a "backyard" method to put the temper back in an EZ-Out?

-

ProjectBazza

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm at work, and we had to drill out a stripped and/or seized allen head set screw on a small(-ish) exhaust fan. When we applied some heat to the fan hub (which contained the remaining portion of the set screw and the EZ-Out), we must have overheated things a bit, as here's what we have now:

IMG_5498.JPG

The picture doesn't do justice to the bluish tint, but you get the idea.

Regardless, I know these are only a few bucks at the hardware store, but I'm curious if there is way to heat treat this at home ("DIY"). Or should we just toss this and replace it?

Thanks!

Jim

(We did get everything apart, and the Boys are in-back right now installing new bearings, and the fan assembly, on a new blower shaft.)

Last edited:
Those are S3 grade tool steel. Heating and dunking them in a cup of water or oil won't do the trick.

As someone that used to forge custom knives, getting the temper correct using a quench fluid is going to be difficult without a lot of trial and error.

Do you have a Rockwell hardness tester on hand?

It'll be far cheaper to just replace it. If you anneal it too much - it'll bend like gumby. If you harden it too much - it'll shatter.

As someone that used to forge custom knives, getting the temper correct using a quench fluid is going to be difficult without a lot of trial and error.

Do you have a Rockwell hardness tester on hand?

It'll be far cheaper to just replace it. If you anneal it too much - it'll bend like gumby. If you hardnen it too much - it'll shatter.
Knowledge based on experience, thank you!

Consider it "gone".

We all love a "cheap fix", I know that I do.
I also hate to just throw things away if I can still get some use from it.

When I was on the tool truck, they were guaranteed. Crazy I always thought. Use it until it doesn't work any ore and buy a new one.

They are such a useful tool and when you need em you need em. It would suck to need it next time and have a less than perfect tool. (That’s what she said) Replace it, and next time you need it you’ll be glad you did.

I know exactly how to do it. Take the lid off the trash can, throw the EZ out in it and replace the lid. Consider it tempered.

They are such a useful tool and when you need em you need em. It would suck to need it next time and have a less than perfect tool. (That’s what she said) Replace it, and next time you need it you’ll be glad you did.
this is spoken like somebody that has worked in a shop with a shared tool box... and has opened the easy out case to find instead of the 5 pieces and 5 drill bits: one missing, one broken (the one you need), two the same, and one huge off brand one, with no matching drills in size or brand-- all of them duller than a butter knife...

EZ outs are good for one thing. Breaking off.

this is spoken like somebody that has worked in a shop with a shared tool box... and has opened the easy out case to find instead of the 5 pieces and 5 drill bits: one missing, one broken (the one you need), two the same, and one huge off brand one, with no matching drills in size or brand-- all of them duller than a butter knife...
Not necessarily a shared box, but a tech that relies on tools to make a living. I’ve been doing it for 30 years. And when you need a specialty tool and it fails, you’re usually worse off then when you started. I love easy outs and use them regularly with great success.

331946AB-37BF-4E77-A255-66CE038E7813.jpeg

FA1C0E7F-7C6B-4323-B475-236EBF43D183.jpeg

Not necessarily a shared box, but a tech that relies on tools to make a living. I’ve been doing it for 30 years. And when you need a specialty tool and it fails, you’re usually worse off then when you started. I love easy outs and use them regularly with great success.
sorry i was self projecting... learned early on to keep all the specialty extractors, chasers, thread files, vicks bits, transfer punches, taps and dies under lock and key.

the gen pop knuckle busters are not above the skullduggery of returning busted off easy out to the case!

here's an especially interesting one i had awhile back.
a7bKgsxl.jpg

honda 4's, IYKYK

Yea that’s interesting for sure! The “Gen pop knuckle busters” respond well to a whack up the back side of their head, just sayin.

Yea that’s interesting for sure! The “Gen pop knuckle busters” respond well to a whack up the back side of their head, just sayin.
the foreman frowned upon me using a cattle prod as a intimidation device. joke's on him though. now i just ask those monkeys to check for spark... and ground the coil to the frame. haw!

-
Back