Anyone know the story of this?

-
I got a ticket for squealing my tires turning onto Broad st. in Palmyra in 79 or 80 in a customers Electra. Just out on a test drive after tuning his car. The 403 had lots of low end torque for that era. After 3 no shows by the cop, case dismissed. Whew!

As reported by 'Portland Pete'

Photo from Thursday ~ May 8, 1979.

The 1971 Dart Swinger; was Red w/Black vinyl-top.

The guy under the car, was 'not' the Driver.

The Driver of the Dart Swinger was in another car,
banged up and resting with a 'mild' concussion.

read post # 13. if I am reading this right chiclidart said he was right behind them when it happened. ask him when it was.

The Station Wagon

Looks like a 1978 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser.

Center Grille Divider, and high front fender emblem.

That is not an Olds Custom Cruiser of any type. I've had several GM wagons and the one in the picture is a Buick.

I'll differ about the 403. The way I remember it back in the day was a 403 was desirable in a full-size car because they had killed off the big-blocks completely at the end of '76 model year, and a 403 the most engine you get get.

However, a Trans-Am was another story. In '77-79 there were 3 V8's 400 cid or larger available in a Trans-Am: two Pontiac 400 engines and the Oldsmobile 403.

The Pontiac engines were federal engines, the 403 was optional Federal and mandated California and high-altitude.

We had 6 1976-79 F-bodies in the mid-80's and were always looking for more. A 403- equipped Trans-Am was automatically dropped from consideration. Nobody wanted one then because it was considered and inferior engine to the Pontiac. You couldn't get one with a 4-speed and it was 20-hp down from the hotter of the 2 400's.

NONE of the cars we had could be considered high-performance in stock form. The '76 455 4spd car was a turd. The 455 in that year was the same engine that went into Grandvilles and other big cars and it was simply a low compression wheezer.

The 400's ran better but still not overly strong. They had 2:56 "airplane" gears in the rears by then so at least you could run one 120mph and feel like you had a strong car.

As far as that famous shaker goes, every one we had was non-functional. You could open them up and install screenwire.

They are nice cars that are wildly overpriced from what they were back then, but not pavement scorchers at all.

-
Back