Anyone know what this wire is for?

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I redoing a couple things under my dash and ran into this wire. It's a yellow wire running down the length of the dash to the passenger side on top portion of the kick panel. It wasn't plugged into anything and it was snipped on the other end so I pulled it. The car is a 68 Dart A/C car. What under the dash on the pass side uses barrel connectors?

Thanks!

Picture0515161240_1_zpsotc0yvzm.jpg

I've spent some time looking at the wiring diagram. I'm thinking it may be for the pass side door switch. Did those have barrel connectors?

That's the Flux Capacitor power wire.

thanks guys. Now I just have to figure out where the other end goes...

So one end was cut? "Somewhere" in the harness and it doesn't matter where, really, it connects into the "other yellow wires" which are in the come light circuit. There is AT LEAST three.....

One goes to each door (two)

and the third goes to the dome light switch on the headlight switch "twist the knob."

The wiring diagram someone posted may not be correct as it's not for a 68 and you may or may not have the delay relay. You can download FACTORY service manuals free at Mymopar, as well as NON factory wiring diagrams like the one posted above These diagrams are sometimes easier to follow but are not always "wire by wire" correct.

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - MyMopar Tools/Reference

68 Plymouth service, the Valiant info is same as Dart

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/servicemanuals/1968_Plymouth_Service_Manual.zip

Page 333 gives you the body wiring diagram and shows the LEFT door switch at lower left

Page 340 shows the time delay relay if your car is equipped, and the MAP light switch figures in as well "if equipped"

And page 336 / 337 shows the wiring if NOT equipped with either map or time delay. This is a bit hard to trace. Find the HEADLIGHT switch on page 337, and find wire M2A-18Y coming of top, running to right and then down, it runs off the lower mid side of the page. GO TO PAGE 336 and find that wire coming INTO that page and mid right side of page.

If you follow it (M2A-18Y) clear across to the bottom left of the page, it's labeled right there as the RIGHT DOOR switch connection

RIGHT hand door switch is at top right

Last edited:
So one end was cut? "Somewhere" in the harness and it doesn't matter where, really, it connects into the "other yellow wires" which are in the come light circuit. There is AT LEAST three.....

One goes to each door (two)

and the third goes to the dome light switch on the headlight switch "twist the knob."

The wiring diagram someone posted may not be correct as it's not for a 68 and you may or may not have the delay relay. You can download FACTORY service manuals free at Mymopar, as well as NON factory wiring diagrams like the one posted above These diagrams are sometimes easier to follow but are not always "wire by wire" correct.

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - MyMopar Tools/Reference

68 Plymouth service, the Valiant info is same as Dart

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/servicemanuals/1968_Plymouth_Service_Manual.zip

Page 333 gives you the body wiring diagram and shows the LEFT door switch at lower left

Page 340 shows the time delay relay if your car is equipped, and the MAP light switch figures in as well "if equipped"

And page 336 / 337 shows the wiring if NOT equipped with either map or time delay. This is a bit hard to trace. Find the HEADLIGHT switch on page 337, and find wire M2A-18Y coming of top, running to right and then down, it runs off the lower mid side of the page. GO TO PAGE 336 and find that wire coming INTO that page and mid right side of page.

If you follow it (M2A-18Y) clear across to the bottom left of the page, it's labeled right there as the RIGHT DOOR switch connection

RIGHT hand door switch is at top right

Thanks for the help. It's very much appreciated. I've been reviewing the 68 diagram, which IS slightly different that the 69. As you said, the 68 shows an optional time delay relay and map light branch, which mine does not have. Looking further upstream, it looks as though it originates from the light switch. If worse comes to worse, I can always run a new 18g yellow from the light switch to the passenger side door switch.

Thanks again, sir!

-
Back