Anyone not using the 90* oil filter adapter?

-

DartGTDan

'71 Dart GT Fan
Reaction score
I'm looking for easier access to the oil filter on my '71 Dart GT, 318, with dual exhaust running factory exhaust manifolds. My arms don't work so good under the car so, ideally I'd be working from the top of the passenger side fender. The car has/had the 90* adapter on it and getting the filter loose & out was a challenge. Would it be easier to mount the filter right on the block? Anyone have pictures of the filter mounted on the block with factory manifolds in the car? I saw/stole this pic of @George Jets 318.

George Jets (318 oil filter to block).jpg

Shouldn’t be a problem with 318 manifolds, I ran it that way for years on my 73. the 90 is needed with 340 HP manifolds.

I don't use the 90*, and no issues. I have headers and manifolds without the 90*.

Yes, straight oil filter with no adapter using the stock A Body manifolds. Did it on my '67 Dart like that.

I just run the 90° for the Tall filter on the 340 Duster...I think I'm getting better filtration, and keeps it back from the headers. Never used it on anything else, and I've had some 318's now... and a few 273s..and a couple 360s... I doubt ya need it, as stated about

I don't use the 90*, and no issues. I have headers and manifolds without the 90*.
by the way, I am running a Mopar 090 filter (from walmart) without the 90* and using Doug headers in a Duster. No issues

I have a cheapie summit filter relocation kit. I think it was between $65-$75. Mounted it to the heater blower motor bolt, just threw a nut on to hold it in place.

Only the swept back 68-70 340 manifold needs the adapter. Later one's don't require it.

If I don't have to use the adapter, I don't It's a restrictive piece in the oiling system. I'd run a shorty filter straight out rather than a long filter on the adapter.

Looks like no 90 is the way to go. Both my small blocks came with 90's and both are a pain in the azz to change the filter.

-
Back