anyone own rental properties on here?

-
Take chicken bone, cooked or not, set in cup of milk and leave in attic.

2 months later.... casa de mierda

Mortgage interest on rental property is also deductible in the US.

Plus you get depreciation for 27 years.

In some states, the landlord is responsible and MUST keep all utilities on!
Sooo funny !
I suspected a grow-op in one of my rentals, so tried to get the electric info from our utilities company.
Due to privacy laws, " Freedom of info Act" , As the owner of the property, I was unable to get any current power usage info at ALL of any of my properties ! !

Last edited:
I bought one after my Sister, who owns 13 educated me. I don't remember the title or the guys name. She loaned me a copy of "the Landlords Bible" or something like that, written by a guy known as "Mr Landlord". It was about 400 pages thick and had every conceivable form that completely covers your ***. Well worth the money.
For example, there's a form that states that after the 5 day grace period after the rent is due, on the 6th day she files with the county to begin eviction proceedings. She also makes them sign a form stating that she can make unannounced visits to the property to make sure "it is still structurally sound "
You get the idea

Sooo funny !
I suspected a grow-op in one of my rentals, so tried to get the electric info from our utilities company.
Due to privacy laws, " freedom of info Act" , As the owner of the property, I was unable to get any current power usage info at ALL of any of my properties ! !
You can't get information, but must still keep the lights on. Seriously.

In FL you can get an average electric bill for any property.

Only do rentals in landlord friendly states if you want to be in that game.

States like California are terrible for landlords, even if the renter is a POS and in the wrong, it's difficult to get them out of properties. I know 3 people that had rentals back in the 2005-2010 era. They gave properties back to the bank because the renters didn't pay, the homes lost so much value and a couple years of negative cash flow was killing them. I heard 2 of the renters stayed in the properties for 3-4 more years before they were finally tossed out, RENT FREE. There are Free assistance programs out here to help renters if they are being evicted. Total game.

Laws do differ from state to state. Some states you can get someone out in 14 days! Others can take more than a year.

Last edited:
Only do rentals in landlord friendly states if you want to be in that game.

States like California are terrible for landlords, even if the renter is a POS and in the wrong, it's difficult to get them out of properties. I know 3 people that had rentals back in the 2005-2010 era. They gave properties back to the bank because the renters didn't pay, the homes lost so much value and a couple years of negative cash flow was killing them. I heard 2 of the renters stayed in the properties for 3-4 more years before they were finally tossed out, RENT FREE. There are Free assistance programs out here to help renters if they are being evicted. Total game.

Laws do differ from state to state. Some states you can get someone out in 14 days! Others can take more than a year.
California and New York are the worst from what I understand.
I had to evict the tenant in my house this past August. It took 12 days from filing to the set out. There was a 3 day eviction notice and I also did a 30 day eviction notice before I filed. So she had 45 days total.
She refused to believe it would happen. The judge gave her 5 days to move. We showed up, on the 6th day, and she hadn't done a thing. I called the bailiff at the court, he called the local PD and they told her she had to leave. If she came back it would be considered trespassing.
I changed the locks, told her that I would be back the next day and she was welcome to take her items back as we set them to the street. I told her to get a Uhaul and some friends and we'd help load.
I got a crew of myself, my wife and 4 day laborers. We started at 8:00 am and set stuff on the street. By 9:00 am it became obvious we needed a dumpster. All they had available was a 20 yard dumpster. I thought it was to big, but I had no choice.
By 10:00 am the word had got out that there was a bunch of stuff sitting on the street and more coming. I had people wanting to come in and pick thru the house for things.
We ended up filling that 20 yard dumpster on top of the stuff people took from the street.
My tenant never did come back. We threw her clothes, her furniture, everything away.
I don't understand it.
As I thought, she had a dog that she wasn't supposed to have. She kept it in a crate, but didn't bother to clean up after the dog did its business on the floor. So the fairly new pergo floor is damaged. She had a young kid in there as well, and this kid must have been autistic, because there is "poo painting" in one of the bedrooms.
We haven't even started to redo the house, but I figure it's out of commission for the next 3 to 6 months.

understood, but i am not looking for a quick flip, this is a long term investment
(and a few other things come into play aswell, that make this the right time for us)
I don't personally have investment properties but I have good friends who do. Remember, the more you make will change your income tax. I know of one person who took advantage of charging more money for rent and wound up paying the biggest part of their gain in income tax. I don't know how it is where you live but in Missouri you can deduct the insurance, taxes, interest and maintenance expenses for the property and nothing else.

-
Back