Anyone running 15 x 8" Draglites with 4 1/2" BS on their Dart????

-

duster360

Reaction score
I have a 67 Dart and have a set of Weld Draglites that are 15" x 8" with a backspace of 4 1/2". The car has stock spring location and stock width 8 3/4" rear with the big 11" x 2 1/2" drum brakes. If you have wheels with same measurements (don't have to be draglites) what size tires are you running and what clearances do you have?

I have a 67 Dart and have a set of Weld Draglites that are 15" x 8" with a backspace of 4 1/2". The car has stock spring location and stock width 8 3/4" rear with the big 11" x 2 1/2" drum brakes. If you have wheels with same measurements (don't have to be draglites) what size tires are you running and what clearances do you have?
p255 60 15 will be too tight wheel well to spring need to do spring relocation for them even with 5 1/2 b/s
more likely to get p235 60 15 in there...

That's what I was thinking, just needed some opinions. I was hoping to squeeze in a 245/60/15?

I have the same rear setup you do and have 15x7.5" Centerline Convo Pro's but a 225/60/15 tire and a 5" back spacing and no issues. See pic's.

I just learned this when I bolted up the front and they hit the upper control arm. I thought I had 15x7, I was wrong.....

They fit good in the rear, lots of room, someone rolled the rear fender, but there is a ton of room with my 225 and could likely afford 245.

I just put my 15 x 8 w/4.5" backspace wheels with 245/60/15 tires on, I had to roll the lip on mine as well but they fit. The leaf springs are shot. I think I am going to call Mancini racing and get a set of their XHD springs that have 1" of lift over stock to get just a little more clearance.

I am running 255/60-15's on 15x8 Ralley wheels with 4.5" of back spacing. I have approximately 1/2" of clerance to the springs on the tires and a littel more to the wheels. If I had a wheel with less back spacing that moved the wheel away from the spring I could have gotten a 275/60-15 under the car with no problems. I realize that Barracuda's have a bigger wheel well than a Dart but the springs are in the same place so a 4.5" back space wheel has clearance to the spring, your issue is going to be the actual wheel well and outer whell well lip.

IMG_0810.jpg

You should be able to get a 255/60 under there as prev. mentioned w/ a little finessing maybe...here's a pic of my 67 w/ stock spring loc and stock wheel lip (not trimmed) w/ 255/60's and 15x7's and 5" bs. Had to run a 3/16" spacer to get it away from the springs. Tires were just barely touching the spring clamps...oh and it had 002/003 SS springs on it..

I have Cragers on my 67 I believe there 245's not sure of the back space but I had to roll the lip of the fender to get it in the fronts are 15x6 and had to cut a 45* off the very bottom of the fender so it wouldnt rub. Ill get sizes when I return home.

You sure its an A body rear end? I thought the A bodies had a 2" X 10" brake drum.

I think you would be safe with a 245/60/15 based on my experiance. Anything narrower in a 60 series tire looks too short in my opinion. You may want to go to a 70 series if you go narrower than a 245 to fill out the wheelwell.

Also some wheel manufactures measure backspacing different my centerline drag wheels are advertised at 4-7/8" backspacing but they measure out to 4.5" in backspacing when you measure drum mounting surface to the inside tire bead on the wheel. I believe that is the most common way to measure.

Also some wheel manufactures measure backspacing different my centerline drag wheels are advertised at 4-7/8" backspacing but they measure out to 4.5" in backspacing when you measure drum mounting surface to the inside tire bead on the wheel. I believe that is the most common way to measure.

I have never seen backspacing describe as anything but the distance from the mounting surface to the outside edge of the backside of the rim.

i belive thats my exact setup on the 73, don't remember the tire size but ill grab it later. 15x8 / 4.5 b/s and i think 245/50/15

vbpgimage.php

i did have to trim the fender lip though

-
Back