Anyone Running A 400 In Your A Body

-
I have done 2 big block projects and ended up using a Imperial mount on the passenger side the divers side I made it solid cause it is so close to the steering box. one thing to remember if you are going to do this... Mopar cars have the motor offset to the passenger side about 1 1/4 I think. I might be wrong. I also used fenderwell headers 2 inch. things that are issues... Brake lines in the way, carb is really close to the hood, and of corse the fenderwells have to be modified. but honestly this car is easier to work on than my 340 duster. with fenderwells there is no starter issues. But the floor above the headers will get hot so make sure you dynomat it or something similar. if you use the same tranny mount then this makes it easier to align the motor. can't go to low cause of drag link and can't go to high cause of hood. just of few of my experiences. I hope it is useful and I am no Mopar god i just love them.

oh BTW cast crank 400's are turds. swap out th crank for a 383 one and have it rebalanced internally. you will get more power and life out of her. better yet.. the 400 is the perfect race motor from Mopar. just needs reworked. the block is stronger than a 440 and it has a bigger bore and short stroke. not to mention it fits in places where a 440 does not. Find a 440 crank with the mains spun have it machined to fit the 440 block and you have a 450 10 cubes more just with a change of blocks and same crank. use a 440 crank and special rods and pistons you can get up to 470 Cubes.

thats right...and the 6 k member is the same on the drivers side, it's the pass side mount they change for the 6.

6 & v8 K's use the same driver side motor mount tower.

The driver side mount does need to be cut per the Schumacher instructions. I went with a 440 Source high volume pump so I had to notch it about as far as I dared and ended up having to elongate the trans cross member holes. The motor and trans sits about 1/8 to mabe 3/16 of an inch forward of its stock location. I'm going to put a torque strap on it because I'm sure the integrity of the mount tower on the K frame has been somewhat compromised do to the cutting. Schumacher, Moparts And 440 Source all have them (I think).

It's true that the 400 is a low compression boat anchor...........BUT...........The car was a low budget build and my boy wanted a big block in his car. Junk yard motor, new cam, used intake and carb for well under a grand. I'm tellin ya that i think it'll go a low to mid 13 and it certainly hazes/broils (dealers choice) the tars at will. It sounds good and most people can't tell its a boat anchor.The car is now a running big block car and in the future as time and funds permit he can stroke or replace the 400.

Thanks Joe, I think, unless lots-o-money comes pouring in from somewhere, I'll simply stick with the 400, as is.
Replacement slugs and con rods with quality bolts will be about it to start.

Stop buying every part that gets listed on the site and save some cash! LOL

:-\"

-
Back