Anyone running a 470 in a dedicated drag car?

-
I guess that's been my issue, my build started out as street strip, could I get a custom ground cam that would help? Bump up the dynamic compression

My 470 going in a 67 B-Body probably about 12.1 comp it's going to be a street strip build got a custom cam ordered from Dwayne Porter he told me my setup should run deep in the 10's

0925201645_HDR.jpg

Do you already have a cam?
Yeah it's a solid f/t 260-264 @.050 .616-.620 lift 108 lsa intake closes at 68 advertised if I recall that gives me 2.96 effective stroke, I would imagine that would matter since its 3.915
New plan is solid roller but won't be buying anything until I have more info to base what I need.

Last edited:
With these pistons and aluminum BME rods a friend was able to push his 70 superbee into 10.0 range on just motor using -1 heads low 9 on juice, had 13/14.1 compression his car is on Hughes engine website in tech articles

1013201629_HDR.jpg

Are you using a 6. 535 rod or 6.70 ?
Nice looking short block, what heads are you running ?

I'm using 6.535 rods would like to use TF 240's if they ever come off backorder. Everyone I spoke with has recommended them for my intended use

I like buying once. You can always slow it down if you want.

It’s not always easy to just swap in new pistons.

As a disclaimer, I always run as much compression as I get get for the fuel I use. Always. Up to about 14:1, with the correct fuel there is no downside to CR.

The tune up window gets tighter but they run cleaner and make more low and midrange torque, which is a big deal, especially when you have more than one gear change.

I just wanted you to know that, because I always advocate for CR. So I am very biased about it.
Commenting back to the "you can always slow it down" the plan is to get this car light as possible
I'm using 6.535 rods would like to use TF 240's if they ever come off backorder. Everyone I spoke with has recommended them for my intended use
Okay, I'm using 6.70 rods & srp 1.320 pistons & luckily I bought some trickflow 240s last year.

Hello friends, I've changed my mind on doing a street- strip car & will be building a race car, my project has been on hold a while & have everything for a 470 (400) ci with trickflow 240s. I'm thinking of selling my molnar crank & just going to the 4.250 stroke for 511 with my bore size.
Anyways, who's got a fast 470 that can talk me out of spending another $1000.00 for 40 cubic inches?
I have no useful info. other than to congratulate you on your decision to go dedicated drag car.
The street/strip cars that I see at the track are usually not set up for racing, and the ones I see on the street are only good when going in a straight line and are not very comfortable or driveable so you lose something either way.

I have no useful info. other than to congratulate you on your decision to go dedicated drag car.
The street/strip cars that I see at the track are usually not set up for racing, and the ones I see on the street are only good when going in a straight line and are not very comfortable or driveable so you lose something either way.
Thanks, that was useful info.

-
Back