Anyone running a Low Pressure Oil Pressure Switch, if so how do you have it enabled?

-

Hyper_pak

Old School Chrysler Fan
Reaction score
I know how to wire a pressure switch and a lamp for either low or normal pressure.
I was wondering if you are running it thru the ignition, fuel or other system.
Just looking for some ideas.

Without diodes or relay, you cannot use a standard single pole sender for multiple functions. You either need the former, or buy some other switch which was used back in the carb days, for electric pumps, etc, and which has 2 or 3 terminals.

One side of your lamp goes to the key and the other goes to the push on terminal of the idiot switch you screw into the oil port next to the distributor.

I realize you said you knew how to wire but if you do, you realize by the time the light comes on your too late.

Are you looking to have the fuel pump shut off if there is low oil pressure?

Are you looking to have the fuel pump shut off if there is low oil pressure?
Assuming this is what you are looking for this should work.

You drive a relay that has multiple poles, from the oil pressure switch.

The switches of the relay can run the dash light AND the fuel pump.

When the oil pressure is low the oil pressure switch makes a path to ground

The relay is energized and one of the sets of contacts makes and the dash light light.

At the same time another set of contacts in the same relay opens and the fuel pump doesn't get any power.

Once the oil pressure is high enough the oil pressure switch opens and the relay is released.

At this point the dash light contact opens and goes out. The fuel pump contact closed and the fuel pump pumps fuel.
PXL_20230323_032245573.jpg

Last edited:
I use an adjustable pressure switch and run mine through the MSD trigger wire. Low pressure, kills ignition.

You could also run a set of relays in series to kill ignition and fuel pump, etc.

I don't use the stock one at all unless running factory gauges.

Assuming this is what you are looking for this should work.

You drive a relay that has multiple poles, from the oil pressure switch.

The switches of the relay can run the dash light AND the fuel pump.

When the oil pressure is low the oil pressure switch makes a path to ground

The relay is energized and one of the sets of contacts makes and the dash light light.

At the same time another set of contacts in the same relay opens and the fuel pump doesn't get any power.

Once the oil pressure is high enough the oil pressure switch opens and the relay is released.

At this point the dash light contact opens and goes out. The fuel pump contact closed and the fuel pump pumps fuel.
View attachment 1716067441
Actually you might be able to simplify that, a person would have to try it but I think it would work.

Assuming you want to add a relay to a factory lamp, and you don't want to have to dig under the dash, just wire a relay coil up to the sender and leave the factory sender wire there as well

Now connect the other end of the relay coil to the IGN1 "run" line in the bay. This SHOULD electrically put the relay coil in parallel with the lamp, and should pull in the relay. The relay, however, will not activate when cranking

Now connect the other end of the relay coil to the IGN1 "run" line in the bay. This SHOULD electrically put the relay coil in parallel with the lamp, and should pull in the relay. The relay, however, will not activate when cranking
Seems solid, and if you wanted power to the fuel pump during cranking, tap off IGN 2 to the input of the fuel pump like the ballast bypass does.

PXL_20230323_135006484.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back