Anyone running a th400 in their a body?

-
no billet parts, just a turbo action VB and a full rebuild with the upgraded bands and clutches. Biggest thing is having a tranny guy who knows how to clearance them properly...

EDIT: reciept, i can ask the boss but i recall the trans less verter was less than a grand. Our 904/727's are about 650 with Manual VB with stock bands and clutches.

The same guy that did the trans in the Landy clone did mine. Total cost with reverse shifter/manual valve body & 4k stall converter was just under 2k. ou'll have about half that just in adaptors. Add the fab work for x-memeber & floorboards & you're at darn near half the cost of just bolting in a good TF. As to the HP the TF can handle, rememeber the old F/C ran TF & weren't much lighter than a good bracket car now. IMO, in the interest of saving money & conveinience stick with the TF......

no billet parts, just a turbo action VB and a full rebuild with the upgraded bands and clutches. Biggest thing is having a tranny guy who knows how to clearance them properly...

EDIT: reciept, i can ask the boss but i recall the trans less verter was less than a grand. Our 904/727's are about 650 with Manual VB with stock bands and clutches.

The same guy that did the trans in the Landy clone did mine. Total cost with reverse shifter/manual valve body & 4k stall converter was just under 2k. ou'll have about half that just in adaptors. Add the fab work for x-memeber & floorboards & you're at darn near half the cost of just bolting in a good TF. As to the HP the TF can handle, rememeber the old F/C ran TF & weren't much lighter than a good bracket car now. IMO, in the interest of saving money & conveinience stick with the TF......

Right our converter was a grand so we probably had the same build lol. John Is a great guy, that little valiant he was puts a whooping on alot of cars for what he has into it! And agree'd on the rest of your post, (quoting top gear here) "Some Say" that the TF cant hold as much power per dollar, but when you factor in the rest of the cost's it will be exponentially more. And if you were not satisfied with our 727 builds just adding a billet drum would probably cure that.

P.S. good to see you hemicop!

I dont see a reciept posted..... I never said it couldnt handle the power but I will say stock to stock or built to built with the same amount of $ the th400 will be stronger. Does the thread title say what tranny is stronger? No, so move on, plenty of guys are running this set up, I was looking for constructive info not some debate on what Mopar purists find to be a great tranny.... I feel like im over on moparts right now, I guess this place is just full of useless idiots too.....

Yeah yeah, probably has a cheetah shifter too, thing looks like a dump truck!

Great way to get started on a new forum :wack:

on this subject on chevy parts in mopars,which im not against because they work,just look at the racers that uses chevy rods,and how come we put ford rear ends in our mopars,like the ford 9 inch

The question you have to ask yourself what is right for your combination,budget and what how fast you are going as for myself my dart is all mopar mostly by choice but a lot by circumstance for example a friend ask me why don't I get rid of my dana60 for ford 9 inch I told I did not see enough upside to justify the move the same for my trans when first started I built my 727 with good parts steel billet drum 16 element sprag and 5 pinion steel planetary and every season when the trans was looked over I upgraded components to make my trans stronger now the only thing remaining is upgrading the front input shaft which is a lot cheaper then changing over to t400 and replacing my driveshaft changing my shifter and modifying trans tunnel all these things have to be taken into consideration not to mention the potential value of your car being that this an a body site most of our cars started out as slant6 or 318 cars not exactly collectors item stuff unless it says Sox&Martin on the side or Dick Landy not to mention the other greats so what ever you decide do your homework ask as many questions as you can but most important to what's right for you and what you are comfortable with

If you're starting with a blank slate.... why not a TH200?

on this subject on chevy parts in mopars,which im not against because they work,just look at the racers that uses chevy rods,and how come we put ford rear ends in our mopars,like the ford 9 inch

Shut up with that logic! People are arguing here! Lmao

Bob Shingler doesn't play around when it comes to mounting stuff to his inner fenders haha Hi Bob !!

Great way to get started on a new forum :wack:

I am not new here, just dont post a lot, I wonder why.....? I started a thread about what modifications were needed not what tranny is better, I could care less what anyone on the internet thinks about my tranny selection. Everyone came in here basically bashing and making jokes about my choice, what would my options be? Either concede and sell my tranny to get a 727 because purists think I should or joke back with them about what I think is silly about their cars? Your right, how dare I say anything about what someone chooses to do with their car, none of that has happened in this thread at all.........:wack:

the reason mopar guys dont like 9" rears for the most part is they use up more power than a 8.75 or even a dana 60.

Well, I put a 9in. in mine for weight savings & cost over a Dana60 (that may change) & for ease of changing gears & for bearing size versus an 8.75. While true it may take more hp to turn a 9in, there's other considerations (as mentioned)so being a "parts purist" isn't always the answer.

I am not new here, just dont post a lot, I wonder why.....? I started a thread about what modifications were needed not what tranny is better, I could care less what anyone on the internet thinks about my tranny selection. Everyone came in here basically bashing and making jokes about my choice, what would my options be? Either concede and sell my tranny to get a 727 because purists think I should or joke back with them about what I think is silly about their cars? Your right, how dare I say anything about what someone chooses to do with their car, none of that has happened in this thread at all.........:wack:

Naaaah, I think you're wrong. I gave you MY opinion (yeah, I know what people say about opinions) and so did some others. Just in case I wasn't clear--------KEEP THE TF, IT'LL HANDLE ALOT OF HP, IT'LL BE CHEAPER IN THE LONG RUN AND YOU WON"T HAVE TO MESS WITH ADAPTORS & CHASSIS MODS.................

Ok, to stay on track, here are a few pics of the underside of my car to show what I did to get a 4L80 to fit. I think the 80 is a little wider than the 400, so this may not be totally representative of what needs to be done to get a 400 in. Also, I had header and exhaust issues due to running the 4L80, a "B" block with headers designed for and "RB" and the raised exhaust ports on the RPM heads. All these things put together required a lot more cutting that you might otherwise need to do as well as some pretty extensive header modification, but maybe it'll give you an idea of what to expect. Sometimes these things can snowball a bit. A lot of what needed to be done wasn't planned for and discovered while mocking stuff up, but when all's said and done, I'd do it all again.

Sorry! For some reason my pictures won't upload. I don't know if it's my files or a problem with the site. I'll try again tomorrow.

still wondering why you would go with a TH400 over a TH200.... legit question, I'm not here to stir the pot.

BTW changing gears in a Dana is cake once you have them set up so that arguement is on the weak side.... Just keep the shim packs for each gear and swapping doesn't take that long..... lot less invested over going with a complete "chuck".

still wondering why you would go with a TH400 over a TH200.... legit question, I'm not here to stir the pot.

BTW changing gears in a Dana is cake once you have them set up so that arguement is on the weak side.... Just keep the shim packs for each gear and swapping doesn't take that long..... lot less invested over going with a complete "chuck".

I'm assuming you mean the 200-4R overdrive transmission and not the metric POS from the late '70's. It would certainly be less work to use one, but if you're talking 1,000+ hp, the longevity won't be that great and regular refreshing/inspection will be necessary even with all billet internals. Those transmissions were never meant to be heavy duty. The gear spread is good and they perform well, but moving into that power level there are better options.

Here's a link to a member who did a 200-4R install.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=174333&highlight=2004r

Naaaah, I think you're wrong. I gave you MY opinion (yeah, I know what people say about opinions) and so did some others. Just in case I wasn't clear--------KEEP THE TF, IT'LL HANDLE ALOT OF HP, IT'LL BE CHEAPER IN THE LONG RUN AND YOU WON"T HAVE TO MESS WITH ADAPTORS & CHASSIS MODS.................

I DONT OWN A 727 I HAVE A TH400, IM NOT SELLING IT TO BUY A 727! I am a fabricator, i have done every other part of fab on this car, chassis mods are free to me. THATS WHY I STARTED A THREAD WONDERING WHAT IS REQUIRED TO MAKE IT FIT NOT WHAT IS BETTER!

I DONT OWN A 727 I HAVE A TH400, IM NOT SELLING IT TO BUY A 727! I am a fabricator, i have done every other part of fab on this car, chassis mods are free to me. THATS WHY I STARTED A THREAD WONDERING WHAT IS REQUIRED TO MAKE IT FIT NOT WHAT IS BETTER!

dam guys, it`s his car!!!!!!!!!!!!bob:coffee2:

I'm curious why one would want to go through all this hassle to put a TH400 behind their Mopar engine? I'm by no means a purist but short of a powerglide it would seem the 727 is a great 3 speed transmission. Just curious.

And here is how and where it all went downhill! LOL

I'm assuming you mean the 200-4R overdrive transmission and not the metric POS from the late '70's. It would certainly be less work to use one, but if you're talking 1,000+ hp, the longevity won't be that great and regular refreshing/inspection will be necessary even with all billet internals. Those transmissions were never meant to be heavy duty. The gear spread is good and they perform well, but moving into that power level there are better options.

Here's a link to a member who did a 200-4R install.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=174333&highlight=2004r

http://www.rosslertrans.com/TH210 Packages.htm

I'll have to call Al and ask him for sure.... but I think his 99 Hemi equipped Barracuda had this trans..... or the 400. The one listed above is pretty light. Was just curious if it was like the 727/904 deal where the lighter 904 was "quicker", but not as beefy.

Junior, I noted in your first thread you stated waiting for "J.W. to ship." How long you been waiting. I ordered from Jegs in about early September 2013 from JW and it has been on back order since. I was told the 24th January it will ship. I thought of going with another company, however I have totally ground off the bellhousing and built the PG according to their specs. Hope they get their stuff in one bag quick.

I agree - useful information, I enjoy reading the bright people on here, some great talent, and have learned a lot (thank you all). And I have learned each to his own, stick to the point.

Keep up the posting as you go, always curious as how someone else skins the cat.

V/r

-
Back