anyone running March Performance Pulleys

-

WildCat

Reaction score
I have March Performance serpentine pulleys on my 340 and it runs warm and temp climbs at idle. I have contacted March to find out if these are underdrive pulleys

Does anyone here have March pulleys and do you have cooling issues?

What Water Pump are you running?

I have thought about getting a new pump, what is the best one to get with a cooling issue?

I will be changing my 180 deg stat back to 160 deg, getting a shroud made for the radiator and will change the pump at the same time. Just don't know if I should go with Edelbrock or one I seem in one of my magazines that claim better flow and make it run cooler.

0000340done.jpg

I can not comment from experience, because i dont have the pulleys (i want them though). But You are not the first one i have heard this from. I sure someone here can help you.

Do the fan shroud 1st.
If you change the pump first you might just be replacing one good pump for another.
This is a common problem across all brands, and I've seen a shroud correct the problem many times.
The fact that it runs warm at idle is a clue that its an airflow issue.
Its true that you have less water flow at idle too, but less engine rpm produces less heat, more rpm more heat.

I have them Larry and it does run a little warm at idle but never goes above 195 even in the summer. I also have a 3 core radiator which I'm sure helps keep it cool. And I'm running the viscous fan which I hear is the best. Got a shroud too. The pump is a stock 6 blade with a Flow Cooler disc. I bet an 8 blade pump like A/C cars use will help you. I only know 1 guy who has used the Flow Cooler high flow pump. He said his didn't last very long. IIRC he said it shot craps in less than 10,000 miles.

Changing your thermostat probably won't help much. It'll still get as hot, just may take a little longer to get there with a 160. I use 180 thermostats in all my cars because it keeps the engine at a steadier temp. making it easier to tune. The 160 stat will let it cool down more on the hwy then when you get in town it warms back up. That temp fluctuation makes proper carb jetting a chore.

I bet the shroud will help you alot. Unless it's running really hot that should solve the problem. I'd do that first and see how it does.

BTW: What fan are you running? Also what gears? Still the 3:23's or did you put in the new ones and if new which ones did you go with?

I have the under drive pulleys on my 360, but I have other heating issues, but have heard that the under drives do run a little hotter.

A shroud is in my future as well.

What kind of fan? I run a auto parts store water pump and a Mopar Performance viscous clutch fan kit. The radiator is a OE converted to 4 core and NO shroud. Runs 180 degrees with 355 gears spins around 2900 at cruise speed. I also through in some water wetter and the temp dropped 5-10 degrees. Funny but a lean motor will bump temp at idle up 2-3 degrees. Especially in the hotter dryer areas like So cal where I live. Simple and lost cost is the fan shroud. I agree with Charger70 about just adding a fan shroud first. Then try water wetter. 5.0 guys use it with much success in the Fox body world. They run hot. A shroud will cost around $150 and the water wetter will you back less then $20. Just a thought.

All the March pulleys except their black coated ones are underdrive. Check Summit.

Good tip brewil, never noticed.

I run the March serpintine pulley system on my 360 (E-body) Cuda without issue. Stock 3 core rad. & shround with MP 6 blade water pump and viscous fan.

maybe a pusher electric fan in front of the radiator would help your problem. good insurance in traffic.

-
Back