Anyone use a QA1 K member on a 74 Duster

-
Here is the official response from QA1 when I asked

"In 73, Dodge changed the engine mounts and brackets. Our K-Member will fit, you would just have to buy 72 engine mounts and brackets. The engine mounts you can buy new for pretty cheap, but the brackets you would probably have to find used"

Here is the official response from QA1 when I asked

"In 73, Dodge changed the engine mounts and brackets. Our K-Member will fit, you would just have to buy 72 engine mounts and brackets. The engine mounts you can buy new for pretty cheap, but the brackets you would probably have to find used"
Thanks, I did the research and went ahead with the purchase aLong with the upper and lowers

Close up of the special washer I used on the front QA1 mount

S6300931.JPG

image2.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a question so I can get a bit more educated the whole year issue with the K members. From my earlier quote post

So does that mean engines from 73 and up have different attachment points the than previous years? Just trying to understand the design or where the compatability issue is. The QA1 works with 67-72 A bodies by their website info. So an engine from 73 and up wont fit properly. SO what if you have an engine from 67-72?

I have a question so I can get a bit more educated the whole year issue with the K members. From my earlier quote post

So does that mean engines from 73 and up have different attachment points the than previous years? Just trying to understand the design or where the compatability issue is. The QA1 works with 67-72 A bodies by their website info. So an engine from 73 and up wont fit properly. SO what if you have an engine from 67-72?

The engines don’t have different attachment points. The change was strictly in the style of the engine mount and the K frame attachment points. The biscuit style mount was replaced with a spool style mount.

72bluNblu, thanks for your response and I have read tons of your posts which have greatly helped. I do need more help with understanding though.

So if all the engines from 67 and up have the same attachment points and will fit properly either on the 72 and below as well as the 73 equally then why would we need to have to buy 72 engine mounts and brackets to be used on QA1 Kframe if I am installing on a 73 and higher A body? Cant we just take our engines and put them on the QA1/72 and below Kframe if all engines are the same and put them in our cars without having to get these extra mounts and brackets if the rest of the car is the same? What would happen if we did that? Thanks for helping

72bluNblu, thanks for your response and I have read tons of your posts which have greatly helped. I do need more help with understanding though.

So if all the engines from 67 and up have the same attachment points and will fit properly either on the 72 and below as well as the 73 equally then why would we need to have to buy 72 engine mounts and brackets to be used on QA1 Kframe if I am installing on a 73 and higher A body? Cant we just take our engines and put them on the QA1/72 and below Kframe if all engines are the same and put them in our cars without having to get these extra mounts and brackets if the rest of the car is the same? What would happen if we did that? Thanks for helping

The engines are the same. The K frame's are not. The QA1 has '67-72 style engine mount attaching points. So it doesn't matter if you put a QA1 in a 73+ car, you still need '67-72 engine mounts to fit the QA1 K frame. '67-72 used "biscuit" style engine mounts, 73+ used "spool" style mounts.

Maybe some pictures will help.

This is a 67-72 style K frame mount
IMG_0355.jpg

And this is a '67-72 engine mount, a "biscuit" style mount. The rubber block sits flat on the K frame and the mount ears go to the engine.
AADBBDDE-EE45-4180-88DF-8EE255E91ED5.jpg

This is a 73+ style K frame
IMG_5720.jpg

And this is a 73+ engine mount, it's a "spool" style mount. A bolt goes through that bushing, and then sits horizontally in the notches on the K frame mount. The ears on the upper mount attach to the engine the same way
IMG_3868.jpg

Close up of the special washer I used on the front QA1 mount

View attachment 1715402562

I'm about to install a QA1 K on my 72' Scamp, so I need this explained to me like I am 5 years old (just ask my wife).

So this special washer essentially centers the mounting tube of the K-member to the frame rail, correct? Will I still need to 'square' the K-member when installing it, or does this washer take the guess-work out?

How many washers do I need?

Lastly, is the Part # of the washer 68401387AA ?

Here is the part diagram I found for a 2020 Ram PS rack.

You will need two of those PNs to get the two for the front. the rear I used large thick washer from any hardware store along with matching flange bolts . Only reason I ended up with those ram washers was wa had a run of bad electric PS racks at one time and the replacement rack had extra mounting hardware , so those machined washers were all over the place for a while .

-
Back