Anyone use the Digi cam degreeing

-

SgtLee511

Reaction score
Very soon I plan to order a Hughes Engine cam to upgrade my 340, thinking about purchasing a a digital degree set up.....I have never degreed my own cam, always had a friend do it, afraid of making a mistake, but now Im an old man want to do it myself this time. Anyone have thoughts about this digital set up, or just go old school?

???? What do you mean "digital?" Digital dial indicator? That kind of accuracy is not needed, but there is no doubt it would "work."

But please remember this. "Digital" is not automatically "more accurate." It simply is not. Digital is probably more often more accurate than mechanical dial indicators.......quality of both being equal, but not necessarily so.

Yea Im just looking for what might be quicker, but I want to do it right....so I think or I gather from your comment just do it with mechanical dials,

300+ for something you can do with $30 in a degree wheel and dial indicator.

Yes it makes it easier, BUT, you still need at least a dial indicator, so make that about $15 in extra items... a degree wheel.

Yea Im just looking for what might be quicker, but I want to do it right....so I think or I gather from your comment just do it with mechanical dials,

I got a "like new" Summit kit off CL for 60 bux I think. This one here:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1056

It seems to have gone up, I thought it was more like 80 bucks. The nice thing about this degree wheel is that it perfectly fits Mopar V8 crank bolts, has stepped bushings for smaller bolts in other engines. I simply stack some large washers to take up space and prevent the bolt from bottoming (without balancer) and stick it right on.

Only caveat about this kit is watch the bezel on the dial indicator that it does not catch on the lock clamp on the side of the dial.

This is all going to depend on "what you do." You need a dial indiator, so depending on what you find / buy used / new there. You need to get one with enough travel (1" is good) to handle valve lift. Watch what you buy, as many for other purposes, are not enough travel.

You need a degree wheel which you can buy separately, or even print one if you are not photo challenged and have a good printer. You can download degree wheel prints off the www

I use this indicator for "other stuff" (drill /mill and a lathe) so I get a fair amount of use out of it.

From what I've read there are two basic ways to set up the camshaft, Degreeing and Centerlining. With Centerlining there is less chance of making a mistake.
You might want to get the HP Book 1405, How to Hot Rod Small-Block Mopar Engines by Larry Shepard.
He goes into detail, not just a list.
Hope this helps !

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/hpbooks.html

-
Back