Anyone use these electric fans?

-

Woodsman341

Reaction score
I am looking at these fans for my '75 Dart Sport 360, which will be a standard street driver. The measurements will be pretty easy to massage into the space, just wondering what specs I may not be considering. The fans are from a 2008 Jetta, and I can pick up the other whole assembly for $50.

Thoughts, advice, warnings?

Screenshot_20240116-111010.png

Screenshot_20240116-110954.png

Are they thermostatically operated, if so do you have all of the correct relays? I incorporated something similar years back from a GM product. I set one fan up to be manual and the other on a thermostatic relay. My memory isn't what it used to be, so I don't remember all of the details.

Are they thermostatically operated, if so do you have all of the correct relays? I incorporated something similar years back from a GM product. I set one fan up to be manual and the other on a thermostatic relay. My memory isn't what it used to be, so I don't remember all of the details.
I'm actually not sure how the VW OEM setup works, but I figured I'd use a thermostat controlled relay. Unless something prevents me from doing so?

IMHO

That shroud will be blocking a large amount of air at speeds above 30mph

All the area in read being parallel to the radiator and in close proximity blocks air flow resulting in overheating at driving speeds.

Screenshot_20240116-125613.png

Another thing to consider...

The size of the engine those fans are designed to cool. 1.5, 2.0, 3.5L engine???

You are most likely trying to cool an engine twice the size.

Look at what the cooling is for a 2023 Challenger with V8 that is what you should be trying to achieve.

Will those fans work, maybe. But if you search "my engine overheats" you will see some very common threads.

I'm am not anti electric fan, but it and the rest of the cooling SYSTEM have to work together

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
I am looking at these fans for my '75 Dart Sport 360, which will be a standard street driver. The measurements will be pretty easy to massage into the space, just wondering what specs I may not be considering. The fans are from a 2008 Jetta, and I can pick up the other whole assembly for $50.

Thoughts, advice, warnings?

View attachment 1716193136

View attachment 1716193137

Do you know how many CFM those fans are capable of? That’s probably the most important consideration. If they’re not capable of at least 2,500 CFM or so it may not be enough.

Do you know if they’re a single speed, 2 speed, multi speed fan?

On a 2008 VW the fans are likely controlled by the ECU. That doesn’t mean you won’t be able to control them with a thermostatic switch, but you’ll have to figure out how to handle the switching. Also, if they’re a multi speed fan and you want them to operate that way, you may need to figure out how to wire the resistor that was originally used to do that. Or use a digital fan controller like one from Dakota Digital.

I run a Ford Contour dual electric fan set up in my Duster, it’s a 2 speed fan and I control it with a Dakota Digital controller that lets me program the on/off temperatures for both fan speeds.
IMHO

That shroud will be blocking a large amount of air at speeds above 30mph

All the area in read being parallel to the radiator and in close proximity blocks air flow resulting in overheating at driving speeds.

Another thing to consider...

The size of the engine those fans are designed to cool. 1.5, 2.0, 3.5L engine???

You are most likely trying to cool an engine twice the size.

Look at what the cooling is for a 2023 Challenger with V8 that is what you should be trying to achieve.

Will those fans work, maybe. But if you search "my engine overheats" you will see some very common threads.

I'm am not anti electric fan, but it and the rest of the cooling SYSTEM have to work together

Good luck to you.
The size of the engine isn’t the most important factor. The horsepower rating is a better judge, because that’s more closely tied to the amount of heat being created.

The other thing is, modern engine bays are much tighter and modern grilles are frequently smaller, so, the fan requirements are typically higher for a modern engine even if the displacement is much smalller.

The Ford Contour fans are a good example, they’re for a 2.5l V6. But I’ve never had an issue with them cooling my 400+ hp 5.6l, 340.

I have never used them but in the thread there are posts stating how good they work. For example. IDK

I run the '95-'00 Ford Contour fans on my Duster, they fit a 26" radiator well- I only had to remove one tab on the shroud as far as modifications to the fans go. They're a dual fan, dual speed set up capable of ~3,000 CFM on the low speed and 5,000 CFM on the high speed. I run them with a Dakota Digital controller, but like any electric fan I'm sure that if you just wanted to trigger them with a plain thermostatic or even a manual switch I'm sure you could. That might be fine for racing but for a street car I'd never just run a manual switch by itself. And personally, I think as far as reasons why people have issues going to electric fans the #1 reason is picking a fan that doesn't have enough CFM (even some of the really expensive fans don't move enough air) the #2 reason is using an inadequate switching system. Being able set and change the temperatures when your fans come on and off is a big part of getting them to work with YOUR car, and simple thermostatic switches aren't good at that. The biggest advantage to electric fans are their improvement in efficiency, and that comes mostly from being able to run them only when you need to. Being able to control when you run them more accurately makes the whole system better.

Have you considered Contour fans? I don't know the width of your radiator.
Electric fans and shroud recommendations
That was my first choice based on what I've seen here, but those cars are nowhere to be found in local yards, and since I'm just toying of the idea to use electric fans I don't really want to spend "new price money" for one. I have a clutch fan I picked up for a song, but finding a 26" shroud is proving difficult.

I have a clutch fan I picked up for a song, but finding a 26" shroud is proving difficult.
Try it without the shroud. You might find it is not necessary.

My stock 273 2bbl auto with 22 inch rad does not have a shroud, no problem unless it's 90+ and I'm in stop and go traffic.
And then it just gets a bit warmer.

Do you know how many CFM those fans are capable of? That’s probably the most important consideration. If they’re not capable of at least 2,500 CFM or so it may not be enough.

Do you know if they’re a single speed, 2 speed, multi speed fan?

On a 2008 VW the fans are likely controlled by the ECU. That doesn’t mean you won’t be able to control them with a thermostatic switch, but you’ll have to figure out how to handle the switching. Also, if they’re a multi speed fan and you want them to operate that way, you may need to figure out how to wire the resistor that was originally used to do that. Or use a digital fan controller like one from Dakota Digital.

I run a Ford Contour dual electric fan set up in my Duster, it’s a 2 speed fan and I control it with a Dakota Digital controller that lets me program the on/off temperatures for both fan speeds.

The size of the engine isn’t the most important factor. The horsepower rating is a better judge, because that’s more closely tied to the amount of heat being created.

The other thing is, modern engine bays are much tighter and modern grilles are frequently smaller, so, the fan requirements are typically higher for a modern engine even if the displacement is much smalller.

The Ford Contour fans are a good example, they’re for a 2.5l V6. But I’ve never had an issue with them cooling my 400+ hp 5.6l, 340.
Thanks for weighing in! If I have my ideal engine, it will be just at or over 300 horsepower, mildly spirited driving. I compared the VW fans to the Contour setup, and as fa as blockage goes, I really don't see much difference.

I'm not sure about the speeds, to be honest, I was just intrigued at the chance to get a set of fans that would be close in size to the 26" radiator for only $40 (I talked him down a bit). I guess the Contour fans are equal in size instead of staggered, though...

The Contour fans for comparison:

Screenshot_20240116-160029.png

Try it without the shroud. You might find it is not necessary.

My stock 273 2bbl auto with 22 inch rad does not have a shroud, no problem unless it's 90+ and I'm in stop and go traffic.
And then it just gets a bit warmer.
I'll also be running AC, though.

Exactly. I run the Dorman version. Higher price than on RockAuto, but free shipping…

2000 FORD CONTOUR Dorman 620-104 Dorman Electric Fans | Summit Racing

Plus then you can use the wiring diagram that @goldduster318 wrote up. His 340 makes 470 hp and the contour fans work on his car. They fit a 26” radiator too.

My install is here
My "new" '74 Duster- or why I need a project like a hole in the head

His PDF should be attached

Attachments

• Electric Fan 26in Radiator.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 62
Exactly. I run the Dorman version. Higher price than on RockAuto, but free shipping…

2000 FORD CONTOUR Dorman 620-104 Dorman Electric Fans | Summit Racing

Plus then you can use the wiring diagram that @goldduster318 wrote up. His 340 makes 470 hp and the contour fans work on his car. They fit a 26” radiator too.

My install is here
My "new" '74 Duster- or why I need a project like a hole in the head

His PDF should be attached

Okay, this settles it! Thanks for the PDF as well, it makes things super clear.

Ford fans, for the win. :)

Thanks, everyone!

The Ford Contour fans are a good example, they’re for a 2.5l V6. But I’ve never had an issue with them cooling my 400+ hp 5.6l, 340
Just out of curiosity, do you know if your fans are turning off when you are at speed?

Have you ever tried running at speed with the fans disconnected?

That would ease my mind that the fan housing / shroud is not restricting flow.

Just out of curiosity, do you know if your fans are turning off when you are at speed?

Have you ever tried running at speed with the fans disconnected?

That would ease my mind that the fan housing / shroud is not restricting flow.

Yep, fans are off at speed. I’ve never run with them disconnected, but it’s obvious when they’re on. I can see it on the fan controller and see the difference on the voltmeter. Plus they only come on at the programmed temperature so if the engine is cooler than that they’re off.

I’ve never had an issue with cooling at speed, the fans never come on if I’m doing more than 25mph for more than a few blocks.

FYI, I tried a rather expensive electric fan setup with very poor results. I know there are going to be a lot of people who say that they use them with great efficiency, but they did not work well for me. I eventually trashed the setup and replaced it with a stock shroud and pulley driven fan.

FYI, I tried a rather expensive electric fan setup with very poor results. I know there are going to be a lot of people who say that they use them with great efficiency, but they did not work well for me. I eventually trashed the setup and replaced it with a stock shroud and pulley driven fan.

Just because a fan is expensive doesn’t mean it’s a good fit for a particular application. There are a lot of really expensive fans that don’t flow 2,500+ CFM, which means they won’t be up to the task of keeping one of these cars cool as a standalone fan.

The Ford Contour fans can be bought for under $150, and with the proper relays and controller are more than capable of doing the job.

Just because a fan is expensive doesn’t mean it’s a good fit for a particular application. There are a lot of really expensive fans that don’t flow 2,500+ CFM, which means they won’t be up to the task of keeping one of these cars cool as a standalone fan.

The Ford Contour fans can be bought for under $150, and with the proper relays and controller are more than capable of doing the job.
Excellent point. I actually worded that poorly. Thanks for pointing that out. Here is what really happened. About 20 years ago I needed a new radiator. After a lot of research, I went with a Griffin Radiator. The salesman talked me into their custom built fan/shroud setup also. It was rather expensive. He said it was good up to 600 HP. The radiator is GREAT, but the electric fan setup just did not work well.

Last edited:
Excellent point. I actually worded that poorly. Thanks for pointing that out. Here is what really happened. About 20 years ago I needed a new radiator. After a lot of research, I went with a Griffin Radiator. The salesman talked me into their custom built fan/shroud setup also. It was rather expensive. He said it was good up to 600 HP. The radiator if GREAT, but the electric fan setup just did not work.

I’m not sure which Griffin fan set up you had, but their “exact fit” electric fan combination only flows ~1730 CFM. Those are their numbers. It’s no where near enough CFM to be a standalone electric fan on a street driven A-body with decent horsepower.

An electric fan is just one part of the cooling system, and just because parts are expensive doesn’t mean they’re a good fit for every application. There’s no way I’d bother with trying to use an electric fan that flows less than 2,500 CFM for the way I use my car. Maybe in a colder climate, or for a car that never sees traffic etc it might be ok, but it certainly wouldn’t hold up to getting stuck in traffic in 100°+ weather. My cheap reproduction Contour fans managed that easily. But they flow 3k CFM on the low speed, and close to 5k CFM on the high speed.

I'm not a big electric fan supporter but the Contour set up is what I would use on my 340. I just don't want to stray from stock appearance.

DSC06217-1.JPG

Sorry, but what is a "Contour Setup? I don't really see much in this picture.

It’s just the OE dual electric fans from a 1995-2000 Ford Contour v6. Same fans and install information I posted above in post 14.

Tried and true, OE designed electric fans designed to last 100k miles plus. And yeah, $150 for a 2 speed, dual electric fan set up that flows ~3000 CFM on low speed, close to 5k CFM on high speed and fit well on a 26” radiator

I’m not sure which Griffin fan set up you had, but their “exact fit” electric fan combination only flows ~1730 CFM. Those are their numbers. It’s no where near enough CFM to be a standalone electric fan on a street driven A-body with decent horsepower.

An electric fan is just one part of the cooling system, and just because parts are expensive doesn’t mean they’re a good fit for every application. There’s no way I’d bother with trying to use an electric fan that flows less than 2,500 CFM for the way I use my car. Maybe in a colder climate, or for a car that never sees traffic etc it might be ok, but it certainly wouldn’t hold up to getting stuck in traffic in 100°+ weather. My cheap reproduction Contour fans managed that easily. But they flow 3k CFM on the low speed, and close to 5k CFM on the high speed.
I don't really know what the CFM rating was. It's been a long time. But I bet you are right in saying I probably didn't have enough. Griffin does make a good radiator, but I did not care for the fan setup.

-
Back