Anyone use this distributor cap?

-

qkcuda

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought this cap at a swap meet a couple of years ago. It fits a stock electronic distributor. When it is on the rotor just hits the contacts inside the cap. You can see that they are larger than the stock ones.
Question is could I just file some off the rotor contact for clearance? It is hard to measure exactly how things line up inside the cap.

IMG_20200702_212422.jpg

Are you saying the tip of the rotor hits the contacts?

There is probably a rotor specific for that cap

Just file fit it. Rotors already bodged, so give it some fresh brass.

Does it say anywhere who makes the cap? I'm interested in finding one...

Yep, tip of rotor hits the contacts. I could file it. Going to try and measure the depth of the cap to make sure it is close to the same. Maybe buy a new rotor to experiment with.

I have a new set of MSD wires that I thought I could use if I got this cap to work.

The only markings on it are AESC cast into the underside. It came in a plain white box.

I just checked out the Firecore site and they sell a black cap that looks identical. They also sell a male tower V8 rotor. I will have to order one and try it.

The vented caps are good. Vents the Ozone gas that builds up from the arcing of the rotor tip to the cap terminal.
There is a lot of high and low voltage zapping going on in a dual point at 6000 RPM ...lol

Closer tolerances between the rotor tip and cap terminal reduce the length of the arc, so filing the gap to fit can be a good thing.

In this case ... it looks like you need the correct Firecore rotor because it looks like the cap terminals are moved way in.

Ionized Gases
Gases may in various ways be put into a state in which they conduct electricity on an altogether different scale from the normal ambient atmospheric gas. They acquire this conductivity when gases are recently driven from or near arcs.

Last edited:
Got the firecore rotor in the mail today and it fits great, so now I can use the male terminal cap and my MSD wires.

-
Back