Anyone used Progression Ignition?

-
This ignition system is something that I had dreamed of, that it could be available for a carbureted engine. I am especially keen on how critical the ignition system is to performance. About 3-4 years ago I met a guy at a Mopar show/race in Tennessee and he had cobbled together a "home made" version of this. Using a tablet and a variety of computer components, his system worked in a similar manner.
From that point on, I was hoping to find a reliable ignition system that could do all that the Progression Ignition system does.
I've been running a FBO Ignition system from Don for about 5 years and it works well, but I have the Progression Ignition at the top of my "to do" list. It will also solve a "new problem" I have. Since I had A/C installed, I had to increase my idle RPMs to compensate for the drag of the compressor. I was considering a trigger for the idle solenoid that comes on 6bbl cars like mine. By increasing the timing in the cells of the timing table that are affected by turning the A/C on, that will balance out my idle speed, much like happens when an automatic transmission car goes from Neutral to Drive at idle.
Like this:

I'm not knocking the distributor, but in the video where the guy puts timing into his motor and it picks up RPM he says "that's too much torque" and then retards the timing proves he doesn't know as much as he thinks he does about tuning...Makes zero sense to retard timing only to put it back in when the car is put into gear....:wtf: If you think about it, if you retard timing all that happens is that you have to open the throttle blades so it'll idle at the same RPM, which means you've opened up a vacuum leak which effects where the idle mix screws are at and you won't be burning all of the air/fuel that you could be at idle...plus, the more the throttle blades are closed, the easier the engine will start because the engine pulls on the idle circuit more...there's a reason cars from the factory have a vacuum advance to pull in lots of timing at idle...

Last edited:
-
Back