Anyone used Progression Ignition?

Forced Induction Mopar

1. Houseoffubar

Houseoffubar Active Member

Local Time:
    7:10 PM
    Hey everyone, looking at ignitions I could pull timing out of at boost/peak torque, I ran into Progression Ignition.
    This is a distributor with all the electronics built in to control spark, but also has Bluetooth connectivity to allow you to set a complete timing map for advance/retard, and also rev limiter.
    Looks like an amazing unit, it it works reliably.
    https://progressionignition.com/shop/ols/products/chrysler-318360-v8-hei-distributor

• Like Like x 2
    • RustyRatRod

RustyRatRod Bla de blizhibliz de blatde blizi bla bla FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      10:10 PM
      Oh you can tune it with your smart phone. How quaint.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Houseoffubar

Local Time:
        Would you prefer to use a laptop or your Abakist?
        The real attraction is being able to set timing at every rpm and boost pressure.
        At $500 It seems like a deal, compared to a new distributor an MSD and whatever add on piggybacked to that to achieve retard and rev limiter?

• RustyRatRod

Local Time:
        I prefer to use neither, because I want to KNOW how to tune. Turning it all over to the computer means "you" don't really "know" about the tune. The computer does. Although I admit it certainly sounds easy and nice and I'm sure it is, this is another case of letting the computer do something that we could, should, need to learn ourselves.

Just an observation.

• 67Dart273

67Dart273 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        Wonder how long before that gets hacked LOLOL

(If it uses software and is on a network, it can and will be hacked)

• Like Like x 1
        • RustyRatRod

Local Time:
          By the guy in the rustang in the next lane.....LOL

• Houseoffubar

Local Time:
          No way Bro! I totally got the best antivirus on my.......distributor

• my68barracuda

my68barracuda Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          Per the details at the link the communication between the distributor and the smartphone/tablet is via Bluetooth, travels about 30 feet. So any hacker would need to be close. The protection against BT hacking is really simple. Don’t accept pairing from devices that are not yours, and keep your device non discoverable. Download apps only from reputable sources.
          In addition, the computer in this case does not tune or set the timing curve. The computer (smartphone or table) is the tuning interface. Meaning that it is the screwdriver. To tune effectively, the person behind the smartphone or tablet would still need to know how to tune.
          I cannot speak for the quality or the value of this specific distributor, but being able to tune an engine via an electronic link is a huge aid at a drag strip or other racing event. And when used in a non racing event tuning via an electronic link is a much more practical use of ones time than tearing down a distributor for the 10th time to change an advance spring.
          It is fine to chose to not apply the latest technology. There is nothing wrong with Old School. With the proper amount of respect given to each that posted a comment above, it is fool hardy to criticize something just because you have no idea how it works.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 2:20 AM
          • Like Like x 2
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • jbc426

jbc426 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
            I bought and installed one in my 493" RB based motor. The primary reason I went for it was to gain the tuneable vacuum advance feature.

The nice thing about it is the quick and easy altering of the timing adjustments including initial, total mechanical and vacuum advance. The unit also shows where the timing is in real time while you are driving, which greatly aids dialing in vacuum advance and total timing.

I currently have mine set to crank at 10*, idle at 22* @ 850 rpm, to have full mechanical advance of 35* at 940 rpm on up and to start adding 7* of vacuum advance at 1410 rpm with it all in at 1500 rpm. I do have the vacuum advance hooked up to manifold vacuum, so that it falls away when the throttle is opened to accelerate leaving the timing at 35* again.

My motor was the happy with the MSD Pro-Billet locked out at 35* total, but having no vacuum advance made it less efficient on the road. The motor loves the additional vacuum advance timing, gets a touch better mileage and allowed me to test and tune dozens of settings in real time before ending up with my current table using a few suggestions from AndyF.

Until this unit came out, having this ignition tuning ease & flexibility had been reserved for the EFI guys running ignition controllers. It's a good option to those of us running carbs, but needing a more advanced ignition tuning ability.

• Like Like x 2
            • Houseoffubar

Local Time:
              Thanks for the first hand information! My big concern was having never heard of it, that it may be junk, but the more I looked into what they had engineered, it seems it would almost have to be a quality piece just to be able to do the things they were claiming it would?!
              Looking at a new distributor an MSD and a boost retarding piggyback unit, this all in one seems a bargain!?

• Agree Agree x 1
              • jbc426

jbc426 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                The distributor sits about a half inch higher than an MSD Pro-Billet unit. For me, this meant I had to massage the base plate of my Shaker hood bubble to gain the clearance I needed.

It does appear very nicely made and has worked flawlessly since installed a few months back. The expanded and easy to alter tuning is very nice, and when combined with the real time feedback of where the unit is actually running at any time gives the tuner immediate feedback which helps them better understand the settings that are needed.

You can also save multiple tunes, quickly make new tunes and kill the ignition system as a theft deterrent type function. The software also will build you a conservative tuning table to get you up and running after you provide some basic info to it.

Here's a picture of one of the earlier tables I generated. I've since altered it significantly. The real time feedback simply highlights the individual cell that it is currently using, so it moves around in real time as RPM & timing changes. It's very cool.

Progression Ignition.jpg

• Like Like x 1
                • Houseoffubar

Local Time:
                  Thanks so much for the input!
                  This sure seems like the way to go for my little turbo project.

• RustyRatRod

Local Time:
                  I didn't mean it as criticizing. I think you can go back and pick out where I said I am sure it works well and is nice. I'm older now and lazy and CHOOSE not to learn it a new way. LOL

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
                  • RustyRatRod

Local Time:
                    Now, I would be interested if they could do this for a carburetor. And I said CARBURETOR, not EFI. LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • '63GT

'63GT Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                      I know what you're sayin, Rusty...
                      Seems like so much has been lost in the wake of technology. Like the dynamics of 'How'.
                      But, much has been gained too. I sure wish I had it easier when I was trying to figure it all out, without ever needing a bandaid!

• Like Like x 2
                      1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
                        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.