Anyone using Lokar kickdown cable?

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
Aaron and I just installed Lokar throttle and kickdown cables in his Duster today. The instruction sheet for the kickdown says to adjust it so that when the throttle is wide open the cable has no slack.

As I see it, "no slack" in the cable does nothing to pull the throttle pressure lever back on the transmission. Is anyone using a Lokar cable on a 727, and can you tell me how you have it adjusted for proper shifting?

Jerry

I'm running one on mine, make sure the lever is all the way back at full throttle and tighten it down, you may have to adjust it a bit when the cable stretch's.

Tom

vaca003ng2.jpg

tjtheommopars009dp6.jpg

There is more to do with the Lokar cable , unless they fixed it, the connection at the trans end is not in the correct location . the lever on the trans end wants to be about 1/16 to 1/8" from full travel when the carb is at WOT .

The cable sold by Bouchillion is suppose to be better .

This is a good subject, got quite a bit heated over a year ago, when I asked someone to explain ?? why the over travel spring in the stock 727/904 linkages sometimes, yet not always . An expert chimed in with an obviously (to me) wrong answer, but bottom line is we never did learn what factory intended here..for sure..with that spring. It is ALWAYS in hi po setups. Case was a 67 dart slant with a mix of nonstandard parts ended up with slant stock linkage (?from another year?) with an overtravel spring in it. But some manuals show 67 dart 6 with no spring, fixed link. Now, either the spring lets trans lever bottom out forward at transmission and carb opens more after that, or it bottoms out at trans when carb closes before carb closes, as travel at carb is more than at trans lever , with that spring linkage..and makes sense to me, if line pressure goes up with throttle opening, and forwrad lever movement the spring lets it get fully up at say 75 % of WOT..a good thing with a Hemi, say. A good thing period, say, again. But shop manual talks about setting it so trans lever is against rear stop with closed throttle, also makes sense, but ONLY if you have the spring in there, to let it get to WOT . What happens w LOKAR? either the travel of carb and lever have to match exactly, or full Line P is not reached until WOT exactly . Only LOKAR I have is not on 727 (brand X) w/o spring. Does your LOKAR have an over travel spring provision? It seems to me it needs a spring for hi po. There is a huge an mount of BS around all this, lots of hot buttons and wrong ideas, but instead of "how to set it" ,I hoped understanding what it is doing will lead to right way to set it up. That is what i wanted to find out..what are they trying to do? There may also be different ratios on carb holes to accommodate spring ability to over travel , but it would seem the spring and rapid davance of lever will get you higher speed shifts sooner than no spring, and harder shifts at 60% throttle. But others say, no, same ratio, but spring is a way to avoid adjusting WOT position of trans lever..it bottoms out , w full line pressure before WOT with a spring.. Hey they used it on all Hi PO from factory, why not on LOKAR? Make one for LOKAR , compression spring at throttle lever on trans, lets trans bottom out full pressure, while carb keeps opening...

should have finished last thought...with added spring, trans lever is all the way back with carb closed, important to get that, but spring would let LOKAR travel more at carb after lever hits internal stop on trans,. If it does not hit that stop, you don't get full upshift RPM and full shift pressure. Yet it has to be closed with carb closed or light throttle uplifts and downshifts are all wrong. It would seem very hard to me to get both ends of that right without a spring..why factory put one in it. This is important stuff, it can pop even a Heavy Duty trans

The problem is that the factory linkage is set up to give the proper amount of tranny lever movement in relation to the movement of the carb lever. When you change everything out and use a cable, the ratio changes so to get the correct amount of pull at the tranny for a given amount of throttle opening you may have to move the cable attaching point on the tranny lever closer to the pivot point. With a cable it hould be a 1 to 1 ratio.

Yes that is right, but that is how it is on cheapest low buck setup slant six. They even went away from that to spring...You may WANT full line pressure before WOT; I think that is what they are doing with spring. Setting it "just right" as you describe will mean you only get full RPM shifts wide open, and maybe you want them at also at 80%..I would..and hard shifts too. There is nothing magic about "matching carbs" to trans lever except near closed throttle when it impacts downshifts etc .In post above, a guy talks about setting it up so trans is not at full travel when carb is full open,..that spells punted transmision to me,,no full line tressure at WOT. someone should make a graph of line pressure (and governor pressure) as a function of that lever angle , then we got somethin to talk about.

Hi, i made an error above I need to set right..I did this 3 years ago, and yesterday had a brain fart on which way trans lever moves .. It is forward to put trans at low pressure early shift, back to up pressure, hard shift, higher speed . So spring in linkage cannot work as I described it above. This same confusion dogged me with trying to get slant trans correct acting in 67 dart with no linkage at all as i got it. Some moron just tossed it, to put a ford truck carb on slant. I wanted trans to work right after resto. Some said forget it, trying to figure this out, just find 67 "no spring" linkage, but i want to know why. I ended up with another year slant/904 linkage, it had the damn spring... How it all started. At the same time struggling with LOKAR on another car, and i bought a LOKAR for this car, and was trying to understand what is going on , when other slant linkage became available, and it fit OK , looked stock, after some modification of vertical rod from manifold pivot to carb. This relieved struggle with getting LOKAR right.

I looked at it again last night; the service manuals are all 100% concerned with getting the trans pressure lever full forward to stop when carb is shut, as I said above , in a "logic of what i said" sense , but I noted a lot of concern with choke/fast idle off when doing it . As carb won't close as much when on fast idle, trans would not either, this indicates it is pretty critical, could be a reason for spring, but spring seems to work other way round.

So what the hell is spring for? The only thing i can see is if trans held throttle linkage somehow, trans would prevent throttle from closing when you lift off the pedal. Maybe it is a safety function, that lets throttle slam shut even if trans delays or slows shutting somehow? That is the way spring stretch is acting, and the only reason i can see why slot is so very long? If it was just about setting overtravel or zero setup, a 1" slot would do it, but slot is many inches long. Why?

Back to LOKAR, it seems John RR is closest to what make sense , it must be against stop in trans forward when at idle, without hurting fast idle/choke , and as near to full back as it can go , at WOT, with a gap left if anywhere at that end, as John says, but that gap gotta be small.... ; LOKAR must push back through cable? a spring at lever in compression behind lever and a clamp hitting a passage hole in front might let it accommodate carb fast idle moves awhile keeping it against trans stop no matter what carb is doing when carb is closed; WOT you would set if need be by moving attachment points to be sure it pushes lever back almost 100 % without, or just before bind at WOT.
WHEW!

Bottom line:we still do not know the why, on spring and I am sorry for possibly adding to confusion with descriptive errors above. This seemingly simple thing drove me crazy....

Hello All !! Sorry, I don't have any help, but I also am in need of some thoughts on the kickdown adjustment. My question is, What is the proper adjustment of the thottle lever throw with the Lokar cable ? I have searched the forums and haven't seen this particular issue discussed. My throttle lever at the tranny is adjusted so that the throttle lever is all the way to the rear at WOT. (Lokar recomended adjustment) My concern is that the lever does not return all the way to the idle position (all the way forward) unless the cable is unhooked from the lever. I installed a light spring to help return the lever to the idile postion as some of the other cable kits do but its the cable adjustment that does not allow the full return to the idle position. About a 1/4 inch of forward travel is left with the cable attached. Is the proper adjustment a ballance between forward and back ? Or is it fine the way it is ? Thanks to all that have an idea !!!!

Here's their tech service info:

Questions about our products? Need help on an install project?
Call us Toll Free 1-877-469-7440

Lokar Performance Products
10924 Murdock Drive
Knoxville, TN 37932

865-966-2269
fax 865-671-1999

Catalog Request: [email protected]

Tech Support: [email protected]

-
Back