Anyone w. Coys C5 15" on AlertK 69 Dart? Need Help!

-

chastee1

Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm headed to the shop. Car is a 69 Dodge Dart with the Alterkation/Wilwood setup up front. Issue is back spacing on a 15" wheel is typically limited to 3 1/4" before you hit the outer tie rod ends. Going outward you only have 2.5" (typically for A bodies in general) before you hit fender.

I'm looking at the Coys C5 in Gun Metal - and would likely have to go quite skinny up front - with a 15 x 4.5" wheel with 2" of Backspace. I'm worried about the true dims of this wheel and if anyone has run this setup on a 69 AlterK dart succesfully. I'm mostly worried about how wide to the fender it is. I'd have to run something like a BFG 155/80/15 on that.

There rear has had the inner quarters "massaged", the axle relocated back about 1", and the offset shackle - no spring relo or mini tub. Looks like I should go with the 15 x 8 with 4.5" of backspace there. I'd try running a 245/60/15 Radial TA 1st and once on i could determine if the next tire could go bigger. That combo would give me the old school skinny front wider rear look - and though the rears would not be that wide the 155 up front would help create the optical illusion that they are - but 155 seems really skinny.

FYI - i have small bolt pattern in rear and large up front. Coys can accomodate this and they are cheap plus I want to try the Torque Thrust D look in gun metal - hence why I'm leanign this way. I haven't seen any 69 Darts with the 17" Mustang Bullit wheels. I'm afraid that with a small boxy dart the 17" wheels won't look right - particularly since I'm running a Hemi Scoop and a general old school weekend racer look.

Pics of either or other setups would be cool.

Thanks!

Ok here isy opinion.

Go with the 17 inch wheels. Then you can go 8" wide all the way around. The way the coys are designed the wheels look bigger in dia anyway. So the 15" will look bigger then a 15" anyway. Even if you stick with coys I say go 17". A lot more choices in tires. You can go 8" wide all the way around. Pretty sure you can go 4.5" bs in the rear too. The 17" tire wil bulge out less then a 15" tire.

Why not change the rear over to big bolt before buying wheels. It sucks having mismatched bolt patterns.

I think the mustang bullets would look good on it. Even with the Hemi scoop. Personally I think the mustang wheel would look better with you theme because they look more like a conventional wheel then the coys wheel. Can get the mustang wheel cheap at americanmuscle.com. With stock rear suspension you may need to run a small spacer and you'll have no choice but to go big bolt though.

They are black and wider then what your talking about using but you can get an idea of what the mustang wheel would look like.

5d8e5a27.jpg

Not the best picture but he is running mustang wheels. Has the RMS front and rear suspension.

9b6e3c31.jpg

Thanks Abody Joe! I will say that months ago when i searched for pictures your Dart was the 1 Dart that first made me consider the 17" rims. I'd love to go BBP in the rear and in fact that was the plan - it's just that the shop I have it at currently has bent me over a barrell big time. They do good work, but they build cars for rich and famous people that apparently just pay invoices and haven't done the work themselves so they don't know how long it should take. The last straw, which has resulted in me pulling the car, is over $3K in labor to hang a TTi exhaust and 8 hours of brake bleeding...at $85 an hour. The work is top notch but frankly those hours are beyond ridiculous and well over verbal estimates of the work. I essentially made the decision to have a very good shop finish the car and paid the price for doing a pay for the hour program (which is all they do). Based on my five months and triple the estimate invoices I'm currently staring at I can pretty much guarantee I'd be paying $1500 to put BBP axles in. I was going to have the shop just put the wheels/tires on so I could drive it when I pay the bill - and I'm moving from CA to MI next week so I wanted it done - but the more I think about it I may just have it shipped to MI with the shop rollers on it then swap out axles and do the measurements myself once I'm settled - I just worry I won't be able to make the Woodward Dream Cruise this year, which was my goal the whole time! Luckily the 17" rims and tires are plentiful so lead times may be null. Making rash decisions based on tight timelines and busy life circumstances can lead to poor results. I may just tackle this in MI when I can put my own hands on the car. If I make the cruise then great - if not, oh well.

Here's some pics of the car. Thinking of gun metal or black rims with the bright lip on the wheel. The stripe and hood scoop are a gloss black, not flat black, so I think gloss black spokes would match well or a gun metal to mimick the paint would work well. If I go 17" I do not want to go bright chrome or posished Aluminum - I think that might over emphasize the wheels and make them look too big - I'm trying to avoid stepping at all into the "ghetto sled" arena.

actual pics - bad ones, but all I've got right now

Attachments

• Dart at Pure Vision June 2012.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 475
  • Dart at Pure Vision 2 June 2012.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 423
Go with the black wheel to tie in the strips on the car. The the dark wheel with the gray and black paint will look sinister!

well thats a good way to look at it. the Alterkation was mainly designed for 17 and larger wheels, as you prolly already know.. i would go with the 17's as mentioned. i think itll compliment your car nicely. also, upgrade the rear to large bolt pattern!

8 hours of brake bleeding........BS. Someone doesn't know what they are doing and/or are really f'ing you over. Pull the car asap before they charge you 12 hours labor to park the car.

Sorry, no "good shop" screws their customers, rich or otherwise.

On the Coys C15 what back space do they have..... You did say 18s all the way around right???

8 hours of brake bleeding........BS. Someone doesn't know what they are doing and/or are really f'ing you over. Pull the car asap before they charge you 12 hours labor to park the car.

Sorry, no "good shop" screws their customers, rich or otherwise.

You are right - and you'd probably puke if you saw my invoices - I practically did. I'm hoping to get it out quickly next week.

-
Back