Anything between Radiator and mounting surfaces?

-

ermarccio

Reaction score
1968 Barracuda - When attaching the radiator, should there be anything between the metal radiator supports and the radiator? Like a gasket or rubber vibration dampener? Or just bolt it on and it's good to go?

Thanks,
Eric

I haven't seen any type of gasket. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to add something like that though. Seems like it'd be an easy enough thing to add

1968 Barracuda - When attaching the radiator, should there be anything between the metal radiator supports and the radiator? Like a gasket or rubber vibration dampener? Or just bolt it on and it's good to go?

Thanks,
Eric
I added some 1" x 1/4" adhesive backed foam meant for drafty house windows to the radiator to keep it from scratching the paint on the core support. Works great!

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 8.53.06 PM.png

A good idea to electrically isolate an aluminum radiator if you can. Modern cars w/ aluminum radiators have that from the plastic reservoirs. At least one aluminum heater cores I bought came w/ a disclaimer that stray electrical currents can quickly corrode them thru, and they won't be replace it for that.

A good idea to electrically isolate an aluminum radiator if you can. Modern cars w/ aluminum radiators have that from the plastic reservoirs. At least one aluminum heater cores I bought came w/ a disclaimer that stray electrical currents can quickly corrode them thru, and they won't be replace it for that.

Sounds good, but there's still contact with the mounting bolts and the aluminum frame.

... there's still contact with the mounting bolts and the aluminum frame.
There is if you allow it, but there are ways to totally isolate. Your engine is electrically isolated from the frame, without the "ground cable" (needed for starter, charging, & spark to work). Typically, you would need a plastic sleeve on the bolt and plastic or rubber under the bolt head. Since you can't snug the bolt tight, probably need a jam nut so it won't unscrew. Alternatively, you can guy rubber vibration isolators w/ a bolt on each end that don't touch (same idea as a motor mount). I have an aluminum radiator (BeCool) in my 65 Newport, and not isolated. I use Evans Waterless coolant, so hope that avoids corrosion.

-
Back