ANZAC Day tomorrow.

-

hux340

Reaction score
I know that this is not related to this website, but I'm from Australia & I visit this site daily & love the info I learn. FYI tomorrow we have a national holiday called ANZAC day here which stands for Australian & New Zealand Allied Corp. Which remembers all past & current service men & women who have served for these two countries in time both of conflict & in peacetime operations around the world.
Tomorrow morning at approx. 5am we hold a dawn service at pretty much every town & city big & small across our nations. This is to remember when the first ANZAC's stormed the beaches of Gallipoli in Turkey in WW1. After that, later in the morning we march in our respective towns. Then it's down to our local RSL's (Returned Services Leagues), have a few too many beers, play two up, (google - if you don't know), to remember the fallen & have a bloody good day, (because that's what our fallen mates would want).
To me it's a very emotional day as I served 23 years in the Australian Army & my wife who served 18 years. I have very close friends suffering from PTSD.
I served my country overseas in East Timor in 1999 & saw some terrible things.
My grandfather fought in Papua New Guinea & in Palestine in WW2 & my father did compulsory National Service in the mid 60's.
My wife's grandfather fought in both WW1 & WW2 & his father also did National Service in the 50's.
I thought this would be good to share for those who don't know.
"Lest We Forget".

Last edited:
Thank-you for sharing an important day with us. Both my dad and father-in-law were in the Philippines with the Signal Core in WW2.
I remember my dad saying he was with the Australians there.

Remember my dad saying about WWII that the Anzacs were fighting sonovaguns !!!
Enjoy your day and remember those who dared.
Yote

Sounds like your ANZAC Day is a combination of two of our U.S. holidays;
* Memorial Day (last Monday in May) honors those who died while in military service
* Veterans Day (November 11) celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans

Unfortunately, too many of our younger people don't have any clue of the sacrifices of our honored veterans.
Thank you to you, your wife and your family members for yours, and their, service.

Remember my dad saying about WWII that the Anzacs were fighting sonovaguns !!!
Enjoy your day and remember those who dared.
Yote
Aussies, we were & still are one of the fiercest SOB's on the planet.

-
Back