Ar 15: Mil spec vs commercial

-
Anything that's mil spec is some part the meets the military's specifications. I'm building an ar, I like magpuls acs-l stock.

Different tube size...MAG400 (military) == 1.14", MAG401 (commercial) == 1.17".

http://www.ar15pro.net/2008/09/milspec-buffer-tubes-vs-commercial.html explains the difference in the tubes a bit more clearly.

thanks... guess i wont know till i get in there!

Anything that's mil spec is some part the meets the military's specifications. I'm building an ar, I like magpuls acs-l stock.

above is what i was looking for... but yes i know what mil spec means...

so my next question!

if you have a "commercial" buffer tube (which i dont know yet) can you just change the tube to mil spec or??

thanks guys...

yes you can.

sweet!

ok next one!

i have a PWA Commando Lower, 20" bull barrel with carry handle...

so im looking to go thru it to upgrade anything that is a worthy upgrade...

looking to have an action job on it, doing a BAD lever, and was interested in the "gas piston conversion kit", what is it and what does it do?

anything else you guys recommend?

A gas piston kit gets rid of the direct impingement setup and uses a piston to act on the BCG much more like an AK. Typically the argument is that the piston setup is more reliable vs. the DI being more accurate.

A gas piston kit gets rid of the direct impingement setup and uses a piston to act on the BCG much more like an AK. Typically the argument is that the piston setup is more reliable vs. the DI being more accurate.

DI?? so its not a cut and dry upgrade? mines a 20" bull barrel so it probably wouldn't hurt accuracy to much eh?

DI (direct impingement). Honestly since you are putting the bull barrel on you are probably looking for more just bench shooting? If so the DI system is just fine, but either way I don't think you would see any difference at typical ranges (yards wise).

DI (direct impingement). Honestly since you are putting the bull barrel on you are probably looking for more just bench shooting? If so the DI system is just fine, but either way I don't think you would see any difference at typical ranges (yards wise).

gotcha thanks... i like trying to hit stuff with a 55 grain @ 250yards lol...

so a trigger, anything else?

Nope, I would leave it at that and just practice, practice, practice. More money spent on crap you don't need could have just gone to more ammo and time behind the trigger. The best money spent on any rifle is a good trigger and a barrel so your good to go.

Nope, I would leave it at that and just practice, practice, practice. More money spent on crap you don't need could have just gone to more ammo and time behind the trigger. The best money spent on any rifle is a good trigger and a barrel so your good to go.

cool thanks... im just wanting to make sure everything is up to snuff...

Direct-impingement systems have been serving well for decades. Chances are the rifle can shoot better than you can shoot it, to be blunt...Until you're sure you've wrung everything out of the rifle in its current state, I wouldn't upgrade anything.

If you're doing it for the tacti-cool factor, then more power to ya...I just try not to throw money at stuff until I know where I need to spend.

That's not to say that I think DI is better than piston uppers...I actually like the concept of a piston upper; it's just a problem with non-standard parts right now...No one does it the same way.

Reaching targets accurately at 200-250 yds ain't all that difficult with 55 grs . What twist is your barrel? 1/7 or 1/9 . 1/9 was real common a couple years back I had a 16" 1/9 colt match Target w/ an A-2 stock & M4 upper rec'r . With the iron sights that rascal would ring the bell at 200 all day long. By comparison , I had an A2 upper w/ 1/7 20" that shot like crap at 200 w 55 grs but really came alive w / steel core green tips. I don't remember the weight but those green tips were tack drivers in that barrel. You'll see some of those guys that shoot 1000 yd have 1/7 barrels and single load because the bullets are so long they won't fit in the mag. I agree with camd64 practice, find what works, trial n error, bolt ons are just ways to help you spend your money. Kinda like a big wing on the back of a Honda. No difference.

Direct-impingement systems have been serving well for decades. Chances are the rifle can shoot better than you can shoot it, to be blunt...Until you're sure you've wrung everything out of the rifle in its current state, I wouldn't upgrade anything.

If you're doing it for the tacti-cool factor, then more power to ya...I just try not to throw money at stuff until I know where I need to spend.

That's not to say that I think DI is better than piston uppers...I actually like the concept of a piston upper; it's just a problem with non-standard parts right now...No one does it the same way.

no doubt its a great weapon! im no crack shot but everyone on my dads side has been... Dad was DOD and went thru a bunch of FBI training back in the day, ive watched him bounce deer slugs around cars and stuff, nuts... great uncle who was LAPD in the 40's helped start the California rifle and pistol Assc, and was a crack shot... my great grandpa shot rabits on a dead run from the hip with a pump 22 octagon barrel, which i have... and He was called my UMC (think Remington ammo) to tour the country showing off their ammo... so its in my blood but ive just been of the wagon for quite awhile, but i used to shoot good groups when i was 13, i liked the 4" targets @ 100yrds...

Reaching targets accurately at 200-250 yds ain't all that difficult with 55 grs . What twist is your barrel? 1/7 or 1/9 . 1/9 was real common a couple years back I had a 16" 1/9 colt match Target w/ an A-2 stock & M4 upper rec'r . With the iron sights that rascal would ring the bell at 200 all day long. By comparison , I had an A2 upper w/ 1/7 20" that shot like crap at 200 w 55 grs but really came alive w / steel core green tips. I don't remember the weight but those green tips were tack drivers in that barrel. You'll see some of those guys that shoot 1000 yd have 1/7 barrels and single load because the bullets are so long they won't fit in the mag. I agree with camd64 practice, find what works, trial n error, bolt ons are just ways to help you spend your money. Kinda like a big wing on the back of a Honda. No difference.

i have an A2 upper which i think is the 1/7 but i dont know for sure. im kepping it KISS but i just want to address anything that could make it just that much better...

-
Back