Are '66 Dart & Valiant convertible top frames interchangeable?

-

SSVDP

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Will a '66 Dart top mechanism work on a Valiant?
I know Dart has a longer wheelbase and was wondering if the top is longer too.

Well, the extra length is in the rear floor pan, so that would seem to indicate that the top would have to be longer. Unless they did something weird like build all the convertibles on the short wheelbase, which doesn't seem likely.

different top for sure 2 different part numbers , the dart has a square back corner, vs the rounded valiant top. I have door side glass from a 66 valiant convertible in my 66 dart, I also have the front 2 bows from a 65 valiant on my 66 dart frame and I think the back side glass will fit but the regulators look a bit different, I think the back bow is different also on the valiant. Contact Waggin and he might be able to help you since he has a valiant convertible.

Not sure on the early cars, but '67-'69 Darts and Barracudas used the same top frame and side windows.

Not sure on the early cars, but '67-'69 Darts and Barracudas used the same top frame and side windows.

Jim, I believe you, but that makes me wonder how they managed it, since a 67-69 Dart is 3 inches longer than the Barracuda. Is the Dart convertible on a 108" wheelbase?

Hmm... now I'm thinking, since the rear interior side panels are interchangeable between 67-69 Dart and Barracuda convertibles, the Dart can't have the extra three inches of rear foot room that one would expect in a Dart. So either it's on a 108" wheelbase, or the rear seat is positioned forward by 3 inches (compared to a HT), so that the top frame and top well can be in the same position as the Barracuda's. I guess one might tell by looking at the rear deck -- how long is the space between the top trim and the decklid? Compared to a hardtop?

I'm not sure where the difference is made up as I never measured the hardtop Dart I had or the fastback Barracuda, but the Dart definitely has a longer wheelbase.

-
Back