Are 727 and 904 converters the same?

-

BobbyD

Reaction score
I have a 360 out of a powerwagon going into a '66 Cuda I just bought and just picked up a 727 yesterday off craigslist. Will the 904 converter work in the 727? What other problems may I encounter doing this 360/727 swap into the '66? Thanks for any help from a mopare newbie.

The spline count and input shaft diameter is different between the 904 and 727. Besides, you will need an externally balanced torque converter for the 360. There is a lip in the transmission tunnel at the firewall that you will need to flatten out for the 727 to clear the tunnel. You will need a V8 center link for the steering and a center sump oil pan. Exhaust will also be a major PITA. Those are some of the reasons I decided to keep the slant in my '66 Valiant.

I got to thinking about this and would the powerwagon have had a 727 in it? I never did look but still have the converter out of it and know where the truck is setting. How can you tell the difference between a 904 and a 727?

Every power wagon I've encountered with a 318 or bigger had a 727, I believe that was the setup. 904's for light vehicles and the beefed 904 aka 727's on trucks and most vans...

pan is a surefire way to check

-
Back