Are all 360's balanced the same?

-
From what I understand the converter or the flexplate could hold the weights to keep balanced, but I could be wrong?!!?

That all depends what the 904 was backing. When I installed my 360 a flexplate change was needed because my 318 was internally balanced and the 360 was an external balance engine. Clear as mud right? But as far as I know all LA 360s were balanced the same.

Well that's pretty much what I was asking. all I need is that balanced Flexplate from Summit, and that's it right?

yes, a balanced flexplate, on a 318 converter............ Put a EXT balance flexplate, on a EXT balance converter, and.........

Like I said, you better call them.

A 360 Magnum motor requires a specially balanced flex plate or flywheel.

I believe the one you are looking at (Beginning Year 1971 - Ending Year 1983) is for LA motor, you should be OK if your motor is not a later (Magnum) 360.

BTW - Summit is VERY forgiving if you make a mistake. They are usually my first choice.

In 1975.......

What is the difference between a 360 flex plate, and a 318 flex plate?

318's were built with both forged and cast cranks (internally and externally balanced)

360's were only built with cast cranks (externally balanced)

The flexplate should be the same if going straight across. When going from an external to internal balanced converter or an aftermarket converter then a flexplate like discussed would be needed.

318's were only internally balanced, 340's were either internally balanced (forged steel cranks) or externally balanced (cast cranks). All 360 la's are externally balanced from the factory. If you have the Tc from a 360 you just bolt it up. If the Tc is from a 318 you need that adapter. If you have a Tc from a 340...good luck! Check the part number on it and look for weights to be welded on. Only the neutrally balanced 340 would work with the adapter.

318's were only internally balanced, 340's were either internally balanced (forged steel cranks) or externally balanced (cast cranks).

Oops I think your right, memory must be going

I,m doing a 904 also,I,m putting a 2500 nuetral balanced T.C in it and getting a B&M balanced flex plate for LA360.Hope this helps,cause I just learned this yesterday.Good Luck!

in all the years i've been doing this i've never seen a balanced flex plate. the weights were on the balancer.

Thats ok, I screw up too sometimes. I see you were a Marine, I was Army, we are always right! LOL

318's were built with both forged and cast cranks (internally and externally balanced)

360's were only built with cast cranks (externally balanced)

Same flex plate, different converter, and the 318 was always internal.....

LIke I said, call them!

That is the correct flex plate if you have a neutral balanced TC. If you have weights on your TC, use the stock flex plate.

360 with a 904 = B&M 10239 Flex plate. Done.

Best way to do it.

Make sure you use the correct "thin" flex plate bolts (with red loc-tite) when you bolt it up, or they will rub the trans when the converter spins.

Vibration Damper. I like the Mopar Performance 360 Damper. P5007301

If Im not mistaken,some 360's came backed by a 904 tranny. Therefore the torque converter was balanced ( with small weights )for the 360. It will be weighted externally. I have one of these in my shop on bench. Wasnt that hard to find.

An external balance engine will have small weights welded to the tq converter.

An internal balance engine will have a neutral balance tq converter,so no small weights.

The B&M flex plate gets around this by having weights welded to it,allowing you to use a neutral balance tq converter,which is far more common.

Oh here it is simplified...maybe LoL if you had a 318 in your car and wish to install the 360 then you will need the balancing flexplate from summit to go with your 318 torque convertor and all is well!!

-
Back