Are All /6 distributors the same ?

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Why would my distributor cap not work or fit another /6 distributor ?
Is there 2 different cap or is there 2 different distributors ?
Rotor fits real REAL tight on the new one (I have to force it down in place) (compared to the old one) and the cap seems to be to tight for the new one, The distributor I have been running the cap just about falls right on and the rotor falls right on by it's self and almost loose (wiggly) .

Is there 2 different cap/distributor size ? Year models ?

Thank you for all the tech help, I am dumb founded and have dun this 10 dozen times and never ran in to this before.. :eek:ops:

is that a autozone rotor? i cant remember which one i got but someone makes one that REALLY tight, i ended up splitting it with a chisel to get it off.

as for the cap's they work on AMC and jeeps to, so no they are all the same from birth till death. if your getting a new cap get a CH410 standard blue streak and a brass contact rotor, MO-3000 is spotty at best on whether you get one or not.

Thank you 805moparkid :glasses7: I just spent 2 hours triple checking and setting the gap and timming :sign3:
ended up putting my old distributor back in, took me 5 minutes so I know I am on.. the mark, Heck I have put 2 different distributors in this /6 (one because of mother nature) and the new one over 4 years ago, I have dun this many times and just could not get it to fire, one time it just acted like the timing was WAY high.. that was as close as I could get :?
My lower back is screaming at me.

:eek:ops: is that a autozone rotor? Napa rotor so it's most likely eklen or what ever they call it :sign3:

Thank you 805moparkid :glasses7: I just spent 2 hours triple checking and setting the gap and timming :sign3:
ended up putting my old distributor back in, took me 5 minutes so I know I am on.. the mark, Heck I have put 2 different distributors in this /6 (one because of mother nature) and the new one over 4 years ago, I have dun this many times and just could not get it to fire, one time it just acted like the timing was WAY high.. that was as close as I could get :?
My lower back is screaming at me.

what is your dizzy curve? if you havn't had it curved i would go with 16* initial, 30* Total Mechanical @ 2000rpm, 45-50* with Vac Advance.

I ran it all the way from top to bottom and even moved one gear each way and nothing, I will take another look at it tomorrow :sign3:
I must be doing something wrong :toothy9:

Attachments

• 2013 Victoria updates 001.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 344
  • 2013 Victoria updates 004.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 352
I am on .008 brass feeler gauge, should I change that with this recurved distributor ?
I did not use a timing light, I just moved it a bit at a time, I may be wrong but it should at least fire I would think. but I could be wrong :sign3:

the problem with having "all in" that high is that your cruise rpm is either below or right in that area so your timing is floating around, which is just messing with it and hurting mileage.

and .008 is fine.

and for the stab get it to TDC number one on the compression stroke, either pull the plug and wait for the puff or watch number 2 rocker (cylinder one intake rocker) to open and then close, then watch the dampner for TDC. then stab the dizzy.

the problem with having "all in" that high is that your cruise rpm is either below or right in that area so your timing is floating around, which is just messing with it and hurting mileage.

and .008 is fine.

and for the stab get it to TDC number one on the compression stroke, either pull the plug and wait for the puff or watch number 2 rocker (cylinder one intake rocker) to open and then close, then watch the dampner for TDC. then stab the dizzy.

Thank you, I have the stabbing part down pat :D been there dun that a few times :glasses7:, I even put my original back in just to make sure I had it right after I marked it the first time, and stabbed it again, so I just stabbed the original back in and pulled it in the shop for the night :glasses7:

Attachments

• RECURVE Slant six J.D. 024.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 340
  • RECURVE Slant six J.D. 016.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 349
  • RECURVE Slant six J.D. 014.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 336
  • RECURVE Slant six J.D. 013.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 344
  • RECURVE Slant six J.D. 021.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 364
The only different ones I know of came on the Super Six. Other than that, I think they are all pretty much the same. And even then I think they all take the same cap and rotor. Or they are supposed to.

That is the original old distributor I marked where it was when I shut it off.
Number one would be about at 5 oclock

Attachments

• RECURVE Slant six J.D. 013.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 339
I will take the distributor to NAPA and size it and get a new/better cap and rotor and get it set
tomorrow, I bet the plate will have to be located different for this one.
Updates will fallow tomorrow :cheers:

Oh and Mike, I THINK I am correct when I say this.....but thet bracket on the bottom of the distributor.........where the screw runs through the slot into te distributor. That screw is supposed to be close to the center of the slot. The way it is now it looks like it is all the way one direction. If I am wrong, someone please correct me, but I am almost positive that's right.

Oh and Mike, I THINK I am correct when I say this.....but thet bracket on the bottom of the distributor.........where the screw runs through the slot into te distributor. That screw is supposed to be close to the center of the slot. The way it is now it looks like it is all the way one direction. If I am wrong, someone please correct me, but I am almost positive that's right.
Good morning Rob :coffee2: In post #9 the second picture I took that picture
for reference where the plate was set on my distributor I took out :coffee2:
But :-k:-k I did notice the shaft does look a little different where the O ring sets :-k so like I said I am going to move that plate location this morning toward the middle and give it another try after a couple of these :coffee2: :D
the first stab at it after setting the air gap it put a tun of amp load to turn it over like the timing was way WAY to high, so I move it one tooth, that is where I made a mistake doing doing that instead of moving the plate :glasses7:
But what realy bugged me is how different the cap and rotor fit real tight on one and dropped right on the old one.. A new day and a new way :cheers:
I will get this figured out :cheers:

Some caps are just made to different tolerances than others. I have 4 /6 caps here now and they all fit a little different.

Some caps are just made to different tolerances than others. I have 4 /6 caps here now and they all fit a little different.
Cool to here this :cheers: I am taking my new distributor with me and hit a couple auto parts stores and see if I can find a better set that has brass pick ups in the cap :coffee2: Thank you for this post that eases my mind allot 72Dodge :cheers:

If you move that bracket to more in the center, be aware you may need to put the distributor in in a different location in order to set the timing properly without the advance can contacting something. I'm not sure at this point that I would not bring the engine in time with #1 compression stroke and get it all in time......if you have already not done that. I've made it a good habit through the years not to remove the distributor without timing it first......because usually there's always been a reason to do it later.

If you move that bracket to more in the center, be aware you may need to put the distributor in in a different location in order to set the timing properly without the advance can contacting something. I'm not sure at this point that I would not bring the engine in time with #1 compression stroke and get it all in time......if you have already not done that. I've made it a good habit through the years not to remove the distributor without timing it first......because usually there's always been a reason to do it later.

I will do that this time Rob :glasses7: My coffeepot is empty and Victoria is up and running (it was last night) :D so she will take me to town so I can pick up a new set (Cap and rotor) and when I get ready to remove the distributor this time I will pull it with the rotor pointing to #1 this time :D.
On my way out the door with my camera in hand to take pictures of what I find, plus there is a couple new baby colts up the hill I would like to get some pictures of :glasses7: here I go............. be back soon and thank you for your assistance Rob and everyone that jumped in :thumleft:

Wow! Nun at the zone or Advance :sign7: so I had to drive all the way in town
Letting her cool down and make me a samich :tongue7:

Rotor and cap popped right on like they suppose to :cheers:
Not the good cap with brass but it should work now :D

Attachments

• RECURVE Slant six J.D. 029.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 289
  • RECURVE Slant six J.D. 030.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 288
  • RECURVE Slant six J.D. 031.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 298
O may God I need a rev limiter now

She is Golden Johnny Dart :cheers:

Once I get to about 3.200 rpm she zips and I have to quick shift :cheers: Wow!
At a low cruising speed in 3rd gear about 35 mph do not down shift ;) unless everything is tied down in the truck because when she hit's about 3.300 or more
yea better be ready to shift :cheers: and do not miss a gear :heart: she rev's
like a 2 stroke at this time :compress: unlike before with out a recurved distributor she would just climb in speed slower, unbelievable how she carries threw the gears now :tongue9:... her nose stays up now Johnny Dart :burnout:
The tack (thank you ramchager) moves almost to fast for me after 4.100 rpm's now :blob: memikie likie :cheers:

This was the problem last night 72Dodge the new cap and Rotor popped in place and was snug as a bug in a rug :D

-
Back