Are all upper control arms the same if they have the big ball joint?

-

moparfreak77

Reaction score
A local guy has upper control arms for sale with the bigger ball joint, he thinks they are out of a 67-73 A body. Are the 10" drum uppers the same as the 73+ disc brake cars?

All A-body upper control arms came with the small ball joint through 72. Starting in 73 they went to the same larger ball joint used in B, C and E bodies.

The 9" and 10" drum spindles are differnt I believe the 67-72 KH disk brakes used the same spindle as the 10" drum. Starting in 73 you either had 9" drums or disk brakes, the 10" drums went away. The 73+ spindles are unique.

actually dave, the kh brake spindles are different than the 10" drum. they have the 2 extra holes to mount the caliper to the spindle.

moparfreak, measure the balljoint on your valiant and then find out what the ones are that he is selling. also measure the width between control arm bushing to make sure they aren't b-body arms.

So if these are bigger ball joint control arms they have to be 73+ arms?
And if the bushing width measurement is the same as mine they should work for a disc brake conversion?
I know my Valiant has drums so they should be the 9"/small ball joint right?(assuming stock)
How much do these usually go for?

Seems you got a lot of info, some confusing. The length from bushings to ball joint center all the same. The width bushings to fram clips , all the same. The only difference is the ball joint diameter. Hope this clarifies.

If you are planning a disk brake conversion to the Mopar 1973 up disk brakes you should have the large ball joint upper control arms and the 1973 up disk brake spindles calipers and bracket. I sold a set on EBay for Upper control arms for $50.00 US and the spindles got $94.58. firmfeel.com and magnumforce.com both have tubular versions for about $350 a pair, and you can find new spindles as well at magnum force. You can even get 2” dropped spindles form fatman fabrications to go with the large ball joint, but you’re looking at $600 for that. This is what I did, fatman spindles firm feel upper arms and Mopar 1973 calipers with a 11” slotted rotors from kvrperformance.com I know you could find a complete set on ebay perhaps for $200-300US You have options.

103_0336.jpg

103_0338.jpg

I saw those ones on ebay the other day and have already emailed him about them. From what I can tell they are the same as the ones I'm looking at. He says they will work but the other parts he has are from a 10" drum car. Are the Arms the same? Basically, will these work for me on my 68 to get me started on a disc conversion? thanks a lot guys.

-
Back