Are stock rods directional?

-
one side is chamfered that goes towards the crank.

there is a side with a large chamfer and a side with a small chamfer,the small chamfers always face each other and the large chamfer always faces the crank to clear the journal fillettes

So I should be able to take the pistons from the pass side and put them in the drivers side, and they will be backwards...... eh?

Having a real brain fart tonight, and no opened up engine to stare at...... Christmas has burned me out.

Wait, no, I can just turn them 180* on the same journal, then the pistons will be backwards........

Man, whoever thought I would have such a hard time figuring this out.... What a dumbass moment.

the stock rods also have an oiling hole for the cylinder walls...

I give this brain fart a rating of 7 out of a possible ten Lol....j/k with ya, I have heard of people swapping pistons from side to side supposedly the wrist pin hole is drilled offset so I'm told they swapp em around to gain a few hp as it put's less drag with the diffrent angle but this is "urban legend" I have never looked any further into the "phenomenon" let us know how it work's out

Wellll...........

This ain't for power...... It's for a backwards turning boat engine, I am trying to get away with not taking the pins out, for they aren't floating.:munky2:

Supposedly the new aftermarket pistons are drilled center, who knows.

I give the brain fart rating 9 out of 10...... :thebirdm:

Buuut, then again, the DORK with the 318 for sale, that has the drive plate I need on it, so I CAN build a 318, instead of the 360, hasn't called me back yet. It's an 88 M318 too, I wonder if it has closed chamber heads like the car motors, and a roller cam? Too bad my stuffs gotta spin backards, so if it does I gotta' go no roller. If the heads are closed chamber, I think I will send them to Hysteric, or Abomb, so I can get 900HP with my 302 heads, and still maintain my smooth idle, 4GPH, and 18-1 compression on 87 Octane. :cheers:

OK, on a serious note, I think I am going to port it, match it, and try to get the power the bolted together 360 had.

PS, the 360, had a 318 head on one side, and a 360 head on the other side. So much for a reputable rebuild, how could you miss that?!?!?!?! No wonder the crank snapped off, they probably peened it with the shop floor, from 5'!

I have a drive plate for it,bolts to the flywheel with three bolts and has a splined center? it is 26 spline and here are some pic's
Wellll...........

This ain't for power...... It's for a backwards turning boat engine, I am trying to get away with not taking the pins out, for they aren't floating.:munky2:

Supposedly the new aftermarket pistons are drilled center, who knows.

I give the brain fart rating 9 out of 10...... :thebirdm:

Buuut, then again, the DORK with the 318 for sale, that has the drive plate I need on it, so I CAN build a 318, instead of the 360, hasn't called me back yet. It's an 88 M318 too, I wonder if it has closed chamber heads like the car motors, and a roller cam? Too bad my stuffs gotta spin backards, so if it does I gotta' go no roller. If the heads are closed chamber, I think I will send them to Hysteric, or Abomb, so I can get 900HP with my 302 heads, and still maintain my smooth idle, 4GPH, and 18-1 compression on 87 Octane. :cheers:

OK, on a serious note, I think I am going to port it, match it, and try to get the power the bolted together 360 had.

PS, the 360, had a 318 head on one side, and a 360 head on the other side. So much for a reputable rebuild, how could you miss that?!?!?!?! No wonder the crank snapped off, they probably peened it with the shop floor, from 5'!

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

the stock rods also have an oiling hole for the cylinder walls...

Yeah, and it ain't on the small end of the rod so......

slant rods have the cylinder oiling hole on the big end between the rod bolt and the i beam, while small blocks have the oiling hole at the parting line of the big ends cap.

As long as you have the oiling holes pointing at the opposite cylinder and thrust sides facing each other, you're good, put'em on what ever journal you like.

My 318 outside has the rods switched in order to reverse the press pin pistons, as in they are directional and now are backwards, this free up 7-12 ft lbs of torque depending on ultimate output of the engine to start with.=old smokey yunick trick

Pistons were made with a lil offset/angle at the pin to keep them on the cylinder wall more so they wouldn't rattle and piss grandma off with the noise they make, it was for selling quite running cars.

LOL, so, Justin, in that case, I can just leave the thing alone and run it backwards, right? Same thing you did. Does it really make a difference in sound? How about life expectancy?

Waggin, thanks for the offer, but I need the Velvet drive drive plate, which is actually a flywheel, I shoulda called it a flywheel huh?

so much for "urban legand" and "phenomenon"

True. Guys turn the pistons around all the time.It makes the engine noisier but gains a few h.p. The wrist pin hole in the piston is slightly offset to reduce sideload. Makes the engine quieter,reduces friction and heat,makes for a longer lasting engine.

I have that too and some other marine only pieces but gotta dig deeper ino the sheds.the flywheel is handy.Do you have the drive plate/flywheel for the 360?if so we might be doin some tradin otherwise I will sell the stuff I have
LOL, so, Justin, in that case, I can just leave the thing alone and run it backwards, right? Same thing you did. Does it really make a difference in sound? How about life expectancy?

Waggin, thanks for the offer, but I need the Velvet drive drive plate, which is actually a flywheel, I shoulda called it a flywheel huh?

Damnit, I'm gonna run it!

And if it blows, I'm taking a trip to CA.......... LOL

I have that too and some other marine only pieces but gotta dig deeper ino the sheds.the flywheel is handy.Do you have the drive plate/flywheel for the 360?if so we might be doin some tradin otherwise I will sell the stuff I have

I do have, I just haven't decided which way I am going yet, a ported, matched, balanced 318, or a cheapo-reman 360 that has rust in the cylinders, and needs a light hone and re-ring.

Since I cruise at 8-9kts, 1800-2300rpm, at 1/4 throttle, I think the 318 would get better fuel economy. Dunno yet. Cant wait until I get a cummins in it.

-
Back