Are there any friends of BILL W.

-
15 years, Congratulations! Nobody in this world is perfect and it says a lot about a persons character to recognize a weakness and deal with it head on instead of looking the other way. Bill W has helped more than a few people that I know (family and friends) and when I was younger I started down that path but was lucky enough to have been woken up before it got out of hand.

No I sez the fly, but I know a few members here that need him.

Congrats to all of you who recognized the problem and had the courage and fortitude to take the step. I have a few friends (and former friends) who are stuck in the fog. One or two died as a result, a few more are self medicating, and a couple just don't value themselves enough. Its hard to be on the outside looking in, and know that no matter what ya do, its all up to the individual.

One friend from hs is MIA, I don't know what happened to him. One I know took his own life in 1991. I found out 12 years later. I often wonder if I could have done more.

A good friend of mine once was drinking himself into comfort after hours. He and I were bouncers, and the keep was feeding him shots, doubles perhaps triples. I told the guy, knock it off, he's already trashed. "Yeah, but he's bigger than me." I went behind the bar, and said, ok, he and I are both bigger than you, who is behind the bar with you?" The keep left me with my friend, who was babbling about his days as a Marine. I was lucky and found his discipline hidden in the fog, "Marine!" he looked up at me. "You will stop drinking, and you will proceed to my vehicle, where you will strap yourself into the passenger seat. There you will remain until further orders."

Next day, he asked me if I had ordered him to get into my truck. "Yup". "Damn... thanks"

As a friend of some that need help, do whatever it takes, even if it seems silly, over the top, whatever.

-
Back