Are these reconditioned x heads ?

-

72SwingerJosh

Reaction score
468C8B1F-29CA-4211-B5B6-84CBF3DF73BB.png

i saw these in Jegs and they have the x head casting number listed and say reconditioned. If they are it seems like a good deal for someone doing a resto motor

Possibly but it does require a core charge. Is the price for one head or a pair?

I’m thinking one head. And can you just send in any head for a core. I don’t know anyone who has ever ordered any of them.

I’m thinking one head. And can you just send in any head for a core. I don’t know anyone who has ever ordered any of them.

I would be careful. Allied Cylinder Head requires the same casting number for a core as the reconditioned head. Summit may have a similar clause. I would surely check into it.

It does say remanufactured in their ad where they give the engines it fits.

I looked at others they list and they have the j head numbers for the other year cars. So it looks casting number specific.

I looked at others they list and they have the j head numbers for the other year cars. So it looks casting number specific.
When I get a chance, I'll look at the numbers on the J heads on my late 70 340. That's a 10.25 CR engine.

When I get a chance, I'll look at the numbers on the J heads on my late 70 340. That's a 10.25 CR engine.

That casting 2531894 number is ONLY for X heads. J heads and a few others will end with 915. They started using 915 heads on 340-6 pack engines with 2.02" intake valves and relocated pushrod holes. They were also being cast for use on 1971 model year 360's with 1.88" intakes. They transitioned to regular 340's around '70-'71.

Best thing to do is call them and ask to confirm the casting # you get. Unless they put seats in, you would probably get better flow with a good valve job after opening up 1.88" heads to 2.02" because of the nice, high fresh seats.

915 heads were plentiful during 1970 model year production for all 340's.

That part number is definitely for an X head. As Loco mentioned, they were the only one produced with that casting number.

-
Back