Are these the correct valve seats?

-

glockr

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to have a Slant 6 head done, and decided to take people's advice here and put in oversize valves. Figure if I'm going to do that it would be a good idea to have hardened exhaust seats put in. I'll have a machine shop do the work but thought it would be nice to have the parts to take in with the heads. Are these the correct seats to get?

durabond.png

Let them supply the parts and make some $$ on them.
Do you go to a garage with a jug of oil and filter and ask them to do an oil change?

I assume that AOD means "Average outside diameter". As such, I do not believe those are correct. I tend to agree with Steve. If you let the shop provide you with the seats, they will get the correct ones based on your valve size.

Post #2 comes across as a little sarcastic, but let's face it, that's golden advice right there. :thumbsup:

Dont know about golden, but sarcasm is a service I offer! :thumbsup:
If theres an "issue" with parts, do you think the machinist will have your back?
Us car guys need machinists, they are a dying breed and good ones are worth the $$. Too many shops closing up
Post #2 comes across as a little sarcastic, but let's face it, that's golden advice right there. :thumbsup:

Dont know about golden, but sarcasm is a service I offer! :thumbsup:
If theres an "issue" with parts, do you think the machinist will have your back?
Us car guys need machinists, they are a dying breed and good ones are worth the $$. Too many shops closing up
You got that chit right. Caint everybody afford a crate motor for 8K.

Normally I agree with just getting the parts from the machinist, but in this case the guy I'm using said his supplier doesn't have them and he doesn't really have time to look for them so he's OK with me sourcing them if I can. He's also not really interested in doing a Slant 6 head so he's kind of doing me a favor to work it in. Good guy and the only machinist in town I trust for quality work. Just that he's kind of swamped right now b/c one of the other shops in town just closed their doors.

As for "sarcasm", I enjoy it as much as anyone else, even if it's directed at me :)

Glad that your machinist is quality and busy. Glad ya didnt mind the :poke: either! :thumbsup:
Normally I agree with just getting the parts from the machinist, but in this case the guy I'm using said his supplier doesn't have them and he doesn't really have time to look for them so he's OK with me sourcing them if I can. He's also not really interested in doing a Slant 6 head so he's kind of doing me a favor to work it in. Good guy and the only machinist in town I trust for quality work. Just that he's kind of swamped right now b/c one of the other shops in town just closed their doors.

As for "sarcasm", I enjoy it as much as anyone else, even if it's directed at me :)

Let them supply the parts and make some $$ on them.
Do you go to a garage with a jug of oil and filter and ask them to do an oil change?
Actually, yes. Local Ford dealer does my oil and filter change on my 88 Diplomat for $9.95 with me suppling the 10-30 conventional oil and wix filter. They have neither.
PS: They also do the "lube" (after they found a grease gun).
PPS: I do give the lube jockey something extra.

Well that makes sense, as does the OP's situation. Not too many dealerships here carry Wix filters lol. And some people are oil loyal so that makes sense. $9.95 lol
Actually, yes. Local Ford dealer does my oil and filter change on my 88 Diplomat for $9.95 with me suppling the 10-30 conventional oil and wix filter. They have neither.
PS: They also do the "lube" (after they found a grease gun).
PPS: I do give the lube jockey something extra.

Last edited:
Well that makes sense, as does the OP's situation. Not too many ships here carry Wix filters lol. And some people are oil loyal so that makes sense. $9.95 lol
I'm not fussy about the brand of oil. I use "regular" 10-30, But most oil change places in my area, don't do the lube, and only have synthetic or syn blend oil.

-
Back