Are these the screws to hold windshield trim clips on a fish?

-
Just took them all out of my Duster a few days ago. Looked like regular old screws you can get at any hardware store to me.

That should do it. Just has to hold the clip on is all. Good idea to replace them. Mine were a little crusty.

On my '72 Duster I had to get the special screws. They have a much thinner (not smaller) head on them. A regular screw would prevent the moulding from fully seating.
C

sadly those are special screws . That's why a package of clips contains the screws I guess. Anyway the screws shank and thread are #8 sheet metal type but the screws head is the diameter for standard #6 sheet metal screws. So If the car body already has holes for the #8 screw you'll have to have the correct special screws. The larger standard head of a #8 screw wouldn't allow enough space inside the clip for the trim to get in there with it.
If the car body doesn't have screw holes already, standard #6 sheet metal screws will work. Just drill a smaller pilot hole. Hope all that makes sense.

You could use #6 screws and offset the holes. (Drill new pilot holes next to the old), and fill the old holes. Or weld up the old holes to add a little material. Put a welding blanket down on that paint.

I bought a kit of new clips and screws off of ebay ...I think it was like $15.00 shipped, and yes they are special screws. and mine ...the threads were coated in a wax sealant to seal the hole as they went in so that they would not have leaks.

The screws that came with my clips didn't have any sealant on them. I put some on them though.
I guess most cars already have the screw holes. My 67 didn't. I center punched and predrilled undersize, then I used a 1/8" diameter punch to create a hole that would provide more sheetmetal to screw contact surface. Too much trouble ? Probably.

My clips from Ebay didn't come with any screws.

Yeah some ebay sellers list thew wrong clips for our cars too. The wrong clips are too tall and will need trimmed to the correct height. Good luck

-
Back