Are titles hard to get for cars?

-

mopardart72

I'm a pretty big deal
Reaction score
I have a chance to get a pretty solid duster for next to nothing but the only problem is it needs a title, the guy selling it has given me the vin number so i can see about a title recovery, he's on here actually his name is MObodyman and he has some really nice cars, if i can get a title I'm trading my 1980 w150 for it so is it hard to get a title?

Depends on the state you are in. THAT is the place to start

i live in Missouri, pretty lean rules on stuff like this i believe, it's not like california that's for sure

i live in Missouri, pretty lean rules on stuff like this i believe, it's not like california that's for sure

Check with you state regs. Its not hard to do a search.
Here in Wash State I think its a two year search. I had a 32 Ford I bought out of Canada a few years back (no vin #) had to go to customs and State Patrol. They issued a vin # and registered the car in my name. After two years I was notified and received the title.

in CA its really easy with out a title...

you just fill out the papers and check lost/destroyed/stolen title...

both sign your names on the dotted line and off you went...

in CA its really easy with out a title...

you just fill out the papers and check lost/destroyed/stolen title...

both sign your names on the dotted line and off you went...

we cant find the guy that had the car it was bought with some land

we cant find the guy that had the car it was bought with some land

ouch... we just had the same kinda issue with one of our FINISHED SS cars...

the guy sold it square but didn't have the title notarized...

boss ended up getting a bonded title

how long does a bonded title take?

well you sned the certified letter in the mail to the previous owner... either he sends you a bill of sale wit hthe vid and notorized or it gets kicked back to you and you take the letter in...

so mail time and then a week for the DMV process

how in the world am i supposed to get the address of the guy though, since 9/11 privacy and stuff like that is held tight

Missouri has no bonded titles.

What state is the car from?

Contact that state and ask them if there is a way to retrieve a title or owner info on the car.

you send the letter by certified mail stating your in possession of the car and you would like to have the title issue cleared up. He sends you a title or bill of sale and you then go to the license bureau. If the letter is returned as non deliverable, you then take the unopened letter to the license bureau and get a form for a bonded title. You have to find an insurance company who sells the bond against the car. Basically they put a value on the car and sell you an insurance policy for that amount in case the old owner shows up down the road with the title. With the form and the bond from the insurance company you will get a new title. At least that's how I understand it. If it's older than 1974 check with Broadway title. Less hassle but a little more money.

you send the letter by certified mail stating your in possession of the car and you would like to have the title issue cleared up. He sends you a title or bill of sale and you then go to the license bureau. If the letter is returned as non deliverable, you then take the unopened letter to the license bureau and get a form for a bonded title. You have to find an insurance company who sells the bond against the car. Basically they put a value on the car and sell you an insurance policy for that amount in case the old owner shows up down the road with the title. With the form and the bond from the insurance company you will get a new title. At least that's how I understand it. If it's older than 1974 check with Broadway title. Less hassle but a little more money.

bingo! thanks aero or clearing that up a little!

Missouri has no bonded titles.

What state is the car from?

Contact that state and ask them if there is a way to retrieve a title or owner info on the car.

I didn't know Mo didn't do bonded titles. All Mo records were transfered to computer in 1985 I believe and all old info was purged I was told. I tried to do this with a 79 model car and was told if it wasn't registered within the last 10 yrs then there was no way to backtrack it. If you know a highway patrolman, they may be able to help also.

Also in Mo, you will have to take the car to the Highway Patrol to have it inspected to verify all the vin numbers.

there was recently a thread (within the last week) where I explained in detail how to get go about getting a title.....the cheap,easy and legal way....to much to type out again though...so do a search and you will find it.

-
Back