ARE TRANSMISSION MOUNTS ALL THE SAME?

-

CFD244

"I LOST MY ID IN A FLOOD"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

I have a '71 Demon with a 727 auto that came in a big box.........

Can anyone advise if the crossmember/trans mounts are the same for 3 spd, 4 spd, 904 and 727. Trying to get my ducks in order before I start to assemble the car.

BTW.......This is NOT the spool type mount.

Thanks

I believe that all of the mounts are the same, two bolts through the mount to the tail housing and a nut to secure the mount to the cross member.

Last edited:
Can anyone advise if the crossmember/trans mounts are the same for 3 spd, 4 spd, 904 and 727
Just to be sure we are all talking about the same things...

Rubber mount

Screenshot_20231102-074746.png

Cross member
Screenshot_20231102-075140.png

This is from 69 parts book so A Bodies could have 273/318, 340, 383.

Screenshot_20231102-075836.png

Screenshot_20231102-080008.png

Screenshot_20231102-080636.png

It looks like at least in 69 the metal cross member is the same for all transmissions.

The rubber mount is the same too.

Last edited:
The only difference is, 1967-1969 take 1/2 dia bolts through the cross member and the 1970-1972 take 3/8 diameter. so if you can fit 1/2 dia. bolts through, You have a 1967-1969

Thanks Folks. I have a cross member and attached "rubber block" transmission mount here. I just wasn't sure what it was for. It sounds like they are all the same regardless of which transmission you have. Problem solved.

however the rectangular rear rubber mount comes in 2 versions
one version with 2 studs in the bottom and one with 1 stud in the bottom

the worst you will have to do is drill another hole in the cross member if you get an early mount and a slightly later cross member

US cars seemed to have 2 studs in the 60s
but by the last few years before the spool type it was 1 stud

other markets had 2 studs until 80s

2 stud version usually paired with a cross member that has an indent for the inner drivers side main cross member bolt through the chassis

1 stud mount seems to go with a cross member where the space between each side for all 4 main big bolts is the same

both peculiarities seems to be linked to making sure you don't try to put the part in backwards. i.e its obvious which way it all goes before you jack up the trans again

ps i could be wrong i'm working from a platform of Aussie car ownership not US, but I do have a few cross members of both types

Dave

Negative. They are not all the same. The correct transmission mount for the early A cars has two studs where they go through the cross member instead of one. For some reason, the aftermarket decided to lump them all into the single studded mount, which technically is not correct for the early A.

which explains the Australian 2 stud and indent situation perfectly they used early A auto trans floor and mid chassis section for everything up till 82. they just split the tunnel and welded it up on the production line if they wanted to fit a bigger bell and trans. small block 727 or 4 speed has a cross welded into front of tunnel.

which explains the Australian 2 stud and indent situation perfectly they used early A auto trans floor and mid chassis section for everything up till 82. they just split the tunnel and welded it up on the production line if they wanted to fit a bigger bell and trans. small block 727 or 4 speed has a cross welded into front of tunnel.
Them little beotches with the two studs are hard to find, too. Nobody makes new ones. I have one or two I am holding on to, plus the one on Vixen now.

you might find mackaye rubber in Oz still does them....although they seem to have been flirting with bankruptcy for years. anything you do find is probably made from rubber that came out of a tree this century rather than last :)

you might find mackaye rubber in Oz still does them....although they seem to have been flirting with bankruptcy for years. anything you do find is probably made from rubber that came out of a tree this century rather than last :)
I tried looking on their site. It's password protected and evidently "fuckface" isn't the password.

-
Back