Are tti headers worth the cost?

-
Reaction score
I am about to buy headers for my small block duster and can't decide whether to buy a set of tti step headers or just go with hooker comps. I've heard that the tti headers tuck up under the car nicely and stay away from the sparkplugs. Ground clearance is an issue and i'm not sure how much clearance i would have with the hooker comps. Either way im getting them ceramic coated. I would also like to know how well the tti's fit on the the magnum heads, cause i would like to put a pair on my 360.

From what I hear from those who ponyed up the money for them, they'll likely not return to any other header again. Ever. They rant and rave about the greatness.
Ho-Humm, maybe one day I'll aford a set.

Im sure if you can actually AFFORD them they are great...but IMO they are just out of touch with reality. I mean other headers cost $300 coated...why do TTI's have to cost double that+ ? Sure they are nice but hopefully someday, I dont care if its even a foreign manufacturer, will come up with a set that will FIT and be REASONABLE as far as cost goes...

Your really only paying for a better drivers side header. Passanger side is almost identical to the hooker comps. It's a big difference.

I won't EVER put another set of Hooker Headers on an A-Body. If you enjoy watching out for every bump in the road and a lack of ground clearance, then, Hookers are for you. I have smashed 3 sets of Hookers over the years and it wasn't difficult especially when driving in an unfamiliar area. Not to mention they are a royal pain to install particularly with PS. :cussing:

I'd rather have a set of log exhaust manifolds on a mild build than a set of hang below the drag link headers.

there was a TTI vs others exhaust comparison,
done by a Mopar Magazine.

Vs dual exhaust off the stock exhaust manifolds,
the TTI headers made 16 hp. {mild 360 engine}

$700. for 16 hp seems high to me.

i will stick with my duals off the stock manifold.
I only have 318 cid, and a mild cam.
maybe the headers would make 12 hp for me.? LOL.

Here is my post from a while back;

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=6759&page=1

cavemanmoron said:
Hmm,the performance gains for the 340 manifolds
don't seem so great,for the money I see them sell for.:(

16 hp increase using the TTI headers,I wonder how much the
"new 63-66 early a-body" headers will be worth.... Hmm.
{Also :( How much will they cost too.}

http://moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/155_0307_exhaust/

Exhaust Blowout on a Mopar 300hp Crate
Running the numbers on a mild 360

For our baseline test, we fitted the 360 with the lowest of exhaust low, a set of stock small-passage 318 iron exhaust manifolds. Bolted to the manifolds was a set of 21/4-inch head pipe extensions 24 inches long. So equipped, the 360 put out a respect- able 311 hp at 4,600 rpm and 403 lb-ft of torque.

We moved up a notch from the early 318 iron manifolds to late 360 iron log-style manifolds. The 360 manifolds are nothing to look at, but the internal passages and outlet are significantly larger than those of the 318 pieces. Power was up a little, moving to 314 hp and 407.1 lb-ft
'

Our final test of factory iron was a set of rare and expensive early 340 high-performance manifolds. With the 340 exhaust, the 360 inched up to 315 hp and 409.1 lb-ft of torque, which represented very little gain on this engine.

The layout of TTI's headers is unique, with none of the low-hanging tubes of the other designs and ample clearance for the plug wires up top. Past experience has shown they have excellent chassis fit. Power output with the tti's was the best of all the systems we tested, clearing 327 hp and producing a healthy 425.5 lb-ft of torque.

I have installed the TTI headers on two a body cars both small blocks and the installation was very easy if you follow the instruction and your motor is in the right factory position.

I also installed their 3" mandrel bent exhaust on my 68 Dart. I was very impressed that it fit without any rattles. Yes the headers aren't cheap but they are worth it in my opionion.

Also for $700.00 the headers are ceramic coated have a thick mounting flange and nice durable tubing. I don't think you will find a set of new $300.00 headers that compare in quality material, fit and finish.

I bought a nice set of new old stock Thorley headers on Ebay for $300.00 nicle plated they were a lot like the TTI's in the way they fit but I had to spend another $400.00 for a darn high dollar adjustable rotating starter for them to work after installing. I think they were only designed for the 904 trans and I had the 727 so they ended up not being such a great deal.

I recommend a buy on the TTI's :thumbup:

I plan on getting a set of TTI's, I know the cost a lot but I hope to never have to replace them. I have hit the driver side of my Hooker Headers so many times the rounded part where it goes from going down to going towards the back of my car isnt round anymore.

i always thought the price was high on tti's until i put them on my dart... they are dewfinatley a quality piece.. thick flanges. the tubing seems thicker and the fit (wich is what its all about) is incredible... they had the be the easiest headder i have installed. and its so nice not haveing to worry about every dip in the road and if i'm gonna smash my new headders.. they tuck up nice and tight... and the drivers side plugs are so easy to get to now.. plug wire routing is easier. no more burnt wires..... like already follow the directions...

just don't expect the coatings to last any better then other headders... i don't care what finish or coating you get they will rust sooner or later if you actually drive the car... they have very specific instructions about cleaning them after install and oiling them down if the car is gonna sit...

i will definatley buy them again for future projects...

i love my TTIs they have not hit any speedpumps or anything since i installed them 3 years ago....
but the thing i like with them the most are the thick flanges the thick tubing and how easy they are to install (just remeber to realy do it the way the instuctions says,dont ask mee how i know ;) )

73DartSport340 said:
Im sure if you can actually AFFORD them they are great...but IMO they are just out of touch with reality. I mean other headers cost $300 coated...why do TTI's have to cost double that+ ? Sure they are nice but hopefully someday, I dont care if its even a foreign manufacturer, will come up with a set that will FIT and be REASONABLE as far as cost goes...
Workin on it...

That header comparo from MoPar Muscle was on a 300 hp 360 cid enine. A very very mild cam is used. Theres no wonder theres only a 16 hp difference there. Now on a higher HP build, say 380+ HP. I bet it shows well.

I ran a set on my 70 Cuda 440. Very easy to install went in eaier then the Flowtechs came out. I say they are worth the money.

What I dont understand is why people will spend thousand of dollars on there motor and trans and then when it comes time to buy headers and a converter they buy the cheapest they can find.

AdamR said:
I ran a set on my 70 Cuda 440. Very easy to install went in eaier then the Flowtechs came out. I say they are worth the money.

What I dont understand is why people will spend thousand of dollars on there motor and trans and then when it comes time to buy headers and a converter they buy the cheapest they can find.

i agree with adam and would also like to add another thing people seem to forget after spending all that money on engine and transmission they will go cheap on the exhaust, thats the case over here in sweden...

I have not noticed a once or gram of difference, except fit and flange thickness difference between $99 summit headers and Headmans. Speaking of the 3 tube under headers.
So, IMO, it becomes an issue of $99 vs the tti price....
nevermind the performance, inwhich the tti's won't show themself worthy until some good street power is made.

You also have to remember the TTIs arent the normal 1-5/8" tubes the cheaper headers are. They are stepped from 1-5/8" to 1-3/4" If you need a bigger tube the Hooker Super Comps 1-3/4" or Headman race headers are in the $500 to $700 dollar range coated also. Even the un coated super comps are over $400 new.

I finally saw a set on a 340 Duster at a show-n-shine at Cottage Grove, Oregon today. They are well made that's for sure. If I had the money they look well worth it. I'm like the other guy's, my Hookers have a lot of dents.

Im leaning towards the tti cause i dont wanna pay $350 for hooker headers and smash them with in a month. might as well pop for the tti's and not burn up a bunch of plug wires and not bottom out everywhere. I'm gonna try and get em at nationals in columbus and at least save the $60 on shipping. Im sure tti will have to have a couple vendors there.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2290115

OK, gotta chime in here. Sure TTI's are pricey. I have installed several of them on different customer vehicles. I have never had a problem with any of the installs or the fit either. Their exhaust systems are truly remarkable. (I have installed other companies prefabbed systems, none fit or work as well as TTI's.)
On the subject of cost,,,
Look at the price of any header out there that is made to the same spec's as TTI's. The closest comparison I can draw is with Doug's headers. Our shop does alot of big block conversions on 55-57 Chevy's. The Doug's headers for this application are also thick flanged, thick wall primaried and large collector headers. They now cost in the Eight Hundred Dollar range. If you want to run the large tube electrical exhaust cutouts, plan on spending another Six Hundred Dollars. Is it worth it? In my opinion, yes. I will always pay more for a superior product and TTI has some of the best customer service I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

For the record, I know Doug Thorley personally. He is a great guy and one of the reasons I remember why I got into this whole hotrod thing to begin with.
I just haven't used his headers on any of my Mopars, so I can't vouch for how they fit. Sorry Doug...

Rev

Things I like about my TTI Step Headers: I can easily change sparkplugs when the engine is hot, I do not burn the no. 5&7 Sparkplug wires anymore. ( I use DEI insulators ) I have not flattened a tube in normal street driving like the other headers I've used. That they make a few more horses is icing on the cake.

PentastarFoster said:
I am about to buy headers for my small block duster and can't decide whether to buy a set of tti step headers or just go with hooker comps.......
Hooker Super Comps flat out SUCK.When I first got my `68 road worthy I installed a set and the very FIRST TIME I drove it I smashed the tubes against a SMALL bump in the road. To say I was pissed is an understatement. The damn things are cracked and leak slightly. When the car comes back from being painted a set of TTI's are going it.

Expensive? Well, I look at it this way: My 6 Bbl. system is $1,800. What's another grand on the exhaust system? Not to mention all the coins dropped between those two systems? I'm into my car for my lungs...what's a few more vital organs?
shok0006.gif

I use hooker super comps 1 3/4 headers on my duster. I can change all my plugs in less than 10 mins. Ground clearance is great. Very easy to install but you cant use a milodon lopro pan. You need to use a moroso deep pan and is where ground clearance mybe a problem. THe part # for the headers is 5204. There not cheap but they are the nicest ones i found for an a body.I bought a set of race tti for my batten w-2 heads but thats this winters progect.

-
Back