Are you a Biker....

-
Oh yea Ramcharger. Now you and i are fixin to get started. Have you ever smelled the fresh scent of a 2 week old deer carcus and all that other stuff you mentioned. You bet. How about heading south on a 38 degree morning bundled to the hilt only to arrive in Shreavport at 80 degrees and start shucking gear and looking for a real cold one. Been there and done that. How about rippin the ruts up in Saddle Back park in southern California on a 250 Bultaco Pursang or running a Hare and Hound in the Mojave desert on a 400 Radial finned Maico. Maybe a Barstow to Vegas. Some of these youngsters never heard of those bike. That's before the jap bikes came into their own. That was when the Europeans dominated the M/C circuit. The wife and i are headed out friday evening and we dont know where. We'll be back sunday night. Our longest day at 95 and 100 degrees was 807 miles when returning from Carlisle. We spent the night in Paduka, Kentucky. Rain drops stinging you in the face?...one day we headed for Jonesboro to eat BBQ on a nice sunny day but as we were returning about to aproach Hardy Ark we noticed clouds in our future. We headed north towards Mammoth Springs with a 2 ft ditch at the shoulder and cones, the sky opened up and the rains came along with the rippin cracks of thunder and lightening. This was all taking place after dark. Speed was slowed to probably 20 mph as i stood on the pegs and looked over the Tulsa windscreen. You could say i've been there. How about running with the flow of traffic at 85 mph with trailer in tow. You either run with em or get your *** ran over. Believe me it's safer at 85. How about running Deals Gap in South Carolina or the Pig Trail in Ark and scraping your pegs in the curves at 10 mph. I've ridden roads some would shun. Been running in the rain talking to truckers on the CB and had them asking if we were nuts. Climbing on and turning the FM to Steppenwolf and grabin a fist full. Hell, i dont know......i may be a .....BIKER. Sing out if ya wanta come and ride. I might mention, if were riding two up, i wouldn't swap my co-rider for nothing. Theres a lot to be said about a co-rider that knows their part of the game in a panic situation. When you hit the brakes hard most riders are all over the driver. Not this gal, hands on knees and clamped on doing her part of the ride and never hindering my effort to keep her alive. I wont list the number of couses the two of us have taken in an effort to stay alive and guess what...it works. You might say i've been there Ramcharger. Thanks for the jog of the memory. Be safe guys. If you see a winger that wont wave jump off and kick their *** and tell em its from me and i said for em to pull there pompas heads out of their pompas ***. I'm in the Gold Book #144184. Aint no bike better than the next. Ride what ya like...but ride...safely with your head screwed on.
Small Block

Personally I'd like to have the bike from ghost rider.
update072205_ghost.jpg

07.jpg

http://www.gearcritech.com/index.php/2005/07/24/ghost-rider-hellcycle-shots.php

I think we're going to need a Sub-post called "Spiritual Rides" I'd add another, starting at the foot of Mt Washington at midday in July, 93 degrees, cresting the summit about 30 minutes later, seeing 3 different states while bundled in a sweatshirt and your coat that you had strapped to the rear fender or back seat "just in case"

Ryan

Oh yea Ramcharger. Now you and i are fixin to get started. Have you ever smelled the fresh scent of a 2 week old deer carcus and all that other stuff you mentioned. You bet. How about heading south on a 38 degree morning bundled to the hilt only to arrive in Shreavport at 80 degrees and start shucking gear and looking for a real cold one. Been there and done that. The wife and i are headed out friday evening and we dont know where. We'll be back sunday night. Our longest day at 95 and 100 degrees was 807 miles when returning from Carlisle. We spent the night in Paduka, Kentucky. Rain drops stinging you in the face...one day we headed for Jonesboro to eat BBQ on a nice sunny day but as we were returning about to aproach Hardy Ark we noticed clouds in our future. We headed north towards Mammoth Springs with a 2 ft ditch at the shoulder and cones, the sky opened up and the rains came along with the rippin cracks of thunder and lightening. This was all taking place after dark. Speed was slowed to probably 20 mph as i stood on the pegs and looked over the Tulsa windscreen. You could say i've been there. How about running with the flow of traffic at 85 mph with trailer in tow. You either run with em or get your *** ran over. Believe me it's safer at 85. How about running Deals Gap in South Carolina or the Pig Trail in Ark and scraping your pegs in the curves at 10 mph. I've ridden roads some would shun. Been running in the rain talking to truckers on the CB and had them asking if we were nuts. Climbing on and turning the FM to Steppenwolf and grabin a fist full. Hell, i dont know......i may be a .....BIKER. Sing out if ya wanta come and ride. I might mention, if were riding two up, i wouldn't swap my co-rider for nothing. Theres a lot to be said about a co-rider that knows their part of the game in a panic situation. When you hit the brakes hard most riders are all over the driver. Not this gal, hands on knees and clamped on doing her part of the ride and never hindering my effort to keep her alive. I wont list the number of couses the two of us have taken in an effort to stay alive and guess what...it works. You might say i've been the Ramcharger. Be safe guys
Small Block

Smallblock, you are a biker. 8) I've worked on quite a few 'Wings myself and they are fun as hell. The funnest one I ever worked on was completely stripped down with drag bars!! That sucker hauled ***!!

Here's one more of many I have stored in my brain...... Ever feel the panic of tires on wet leaves while going around a city corner in the fall? LOL!

Edit: I forgot to add that I'd marry a good (female) passenger. Apparently you did. :)

Another thing of note guys, don't ever ride ***** unless you're carrying a gas can, lol!

Heres a rull of thumb when riding "Wet is Wicked" and for the longest time when i was younger i thought they were talking about my girlfriends....on the beach.....I'm older now. Wet leaves and how about wet lines will get ya if ya aint on the ball. Those painted lines can get you attention also. Loose gravel in the corners. Never locked the wing up but i've done some pretty hard braking and manuvering to miss deer. Squirrels, i just run over them. In one of the courses i took they would teach you how to run over 4x4s at speed.......on their bikes. I think, and i've thought about it alot, if i ever had to hit a deer i think my stratigy would be to ride through it. Only on a big bike though. Get down , brace yourself and keep control and run over him. Hope i never have to put it to use.
Small Block

Here's another: Ever got hit in the face by a bird without a helmet? :)

BTW, this is great advice: "Ride what ya like...but ride...safely with your head screwed on.
Small Block"

Edit: While my bike is warming up I put my gear on. While I do this, I think that "I am invisible" and change my mind set. I ride as though I cannot be seen and it has saved my life.

I never ride without a helmet and never without gloves. Another rule of thumb. If ya got a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet. If ya got a valuable head wear a valuable hemet and on the gloves. If and when you go down usually the first thing to touch the ground is your hand as your putting it out to catch your fall. A good pair of boots is always comforting also. Ramcharger, i wonder if anyone is picking up on any of this?
Small Block

uh oh dont look too hard at my photo . guess they dont make a helmet that cheap.lol

I was wondering when you were going to pipe in here Daredevil..Nothin like a man knowin what hes got. Be carefull buddy.
Small Block Goodnite folks......Nite Dick

I never ride without a helmet and never without gloves. Another rule of thumb. If ya got a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet. If ya got a valuable head wear a valuable hemet and on the gloves. If and when you go down usually the first thing to touch the ground is your hand as your putting it out to catch your fall. A good pair of boots is always comforting also. Ramcharger, i wonder if anyone is picking up on any of this?
Small Block

I hope so with the exception that I do not agree with helmet laws. It should be personal choice and my choice is to wear a helmet 90% of the time. I always wear gloves (custom made) and chaps if it's a long ride. Nothing worse than being behind a gravel truck on the highway without chaps!

My gear is of the highest quality. Like you say Smallblock, ten dollar head, ten dollar helmet. Ten dollar hide? Go ride in flip flops and shorts. I never, ever let a woman ride with me unless she wore leather from head to toe. :cheers: If she didn't have 'em, it would be "later days babe" until she got it together.

I just cringe when some kid has his girl in shorts on the back of his bike.....

I think we're going to need a Sub-post called "Spiritual Rides" I'd add another, starting at the foot of Mt Washington at midday in July, 93 degrees, cresting the summit about 30 minutes later, seeing 3 different states while bundled in a sweatshirt and your coat that you had strapped to the rear fender or back seat "just in case"

Ryan

Nice! How about a run from Denver (5280') to Echo Lake (10,600')? From there, if you are so inclined, you can hike the peak to 14,264'. :)

Nice! How about a run from Denver (5280') to Echo Lake (10,600')? From there, if you are so inclined, you can hike the peak to 14,264'. :)

That sounds killer! I've promised myself I'd make it out that way on my bike before I die, when my little one gets a bit older I'm going to take 2-3 weeks off and head west...

Ryan

It's not what you ride, it's why you ride. I ride a muttly "Harley" type (S&S motor & Baker trans), built my last 4 rides myself and rarely show up at a dealer. I can't ride the long miles I used too, but love the brotherhood of the road, and the people. I don't get these credit card type that are a bunch of "posers" that will pass you if you are stopped without asking if you need help, but will raise a fist as if to say "right on bro". Only you know if you are a "biker".

I usually get about 10,000 - 12,000 miles per year on my bikes , if given a choice I would give up the cars first and probably the house so I guess I consider myself a biker. My rides are 09 loaded up Goldwing , 07 Kaw. KLR650 , and 05 Yamaha V-Max. The Roadking in the background is my brother in laws , since he wrecked it I get to ride it too. RIDE TO LIVE LIVE TO RIDE!

MVC-002S.JPG

MVC-003S.JPG

MVC-010S.JPG

I wouldnt really consider myslef a hardcore biker. But a biker yes.

Here is my new addition 02 kawasaki mean sreak 1500
mynewmeanstreak001.jpg

Here is my dads red 08 kawasaki vulcan 900 custom and my vulcan 800A
mynewmeanstreak002.jpg

My vulcan 800A is for sale btw. $2500.
Vulcan800Aforsale001.jpg

Those painted lines can get you attention also. Loose gravel in the corners.

Amen to both of those. Been down 3 times - twice on the freeway at relatively slow speeds due to inattentive dingbat drivers, once in the local mountains due to combination of pea-gravel-like decomposed granite and my own stupidity. Luckily never been hurt. Will not, and never have, ridden without full-face helmet and gloves.

Why label it? If you love to ride,sure. If you bought one just to "fit" in or try to regain your youth, give up before you get hurt. I started riding dirt bikes at 12. Since then I have owned 170 mph rockets and 1000lb cruisers and have enjoyed every last one. My current ride is below. 1997 FLHTCI w/ 52,000 miles. Never seen the inside of a HD shop and never needed anything more than oil changes, tires, and brakes!

-
Back