Are you an Imperial maintenance expert?

-

cruiser

Reaction score
Yes, I know. An Imperial is not an A body car by a long shot. But perhaps you can help this A body owner with a question about the Imperial. I heard that back in the day, a Chrysler mechanic would come out to your home to service your Imperial, eliminating the need to bring it in to the dealership. Is this true? Did anyone out there ever work for a Chrysler dealership that did this? If so, did you have some sort of well stocked truck that had all the parts and tools that you'd need to work on one of these land yachts at the owner's home? Maybe this is just an urban legend, but please do chime in if you have any knowledge of this topic. Just curious. Many thanks!

I don't think that is true-but........ For high-end customers we might send a mechanic to make temporary repairs. For those customers we had a pickup and delivery service. We had a Harley 3-wheeler with a tow bar that we could attach to the cars rear bumper. Once we had an Imperial customer, a diamond merchant I was told, who lost some money in his car. The service writer started checking under the seats and found the customer's missing $10,000 wad of cash! Wealthy people did buy Imperials.

News to me. Rich people do like to feel special....

I could be wrong however I think Jay Leno mentioned this in his presentation of his 67' Imperial. Again, memory could be wavering.

I could be wrong however I think Jay Leno mentioned this in his presentation of his 67' Imperial. Again, memory could be wavering.

I saw that video too multiple times, pretty sure he mentioned that was the case at least with the original owner of his Imperial.

I'd appreciate that not necessarily to "feel special" but to have some sort of a personal relationship with my mechanic which would go a long way in regard to trust that he/she would do proper work and not try to screw me over. Not sure how it was 50 years ago but these days you can't really trust most dealers for sh*t.

I saw a vid that Mopar sent out a guy (plane ride and all) to check a possibly bent frame of a Hellcat that pulled bad on the strip, it seemed that Hellcat/SRT owners had another level of customer service. It was all about how a Dodge dealership would not take back a manufacture defective car. It was found to be out of frame spec by Mopar field tech and they ended up taking it back to another dealership as the selling dealership would not accept it even with Chrysler's authorization. Huge black mark for that dealership and the service manager that capitulated to the guys data and then reversed his decision and refused to take it back. Tangential to the topic but I think ballers could get higher customer service at Chrysler if money talked.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was true. Our local BMW dealer will travel anywhere in the state of Georgia, pick your car up service it and bring it back. It's part of the package when you buy from them.

-
Back