Are you changing your oil too many times ?

-
I never bought into the 3000 mile school.

I used to do twice a year, but switched to 5000 miles sometime in the early 90's.

I've never lost an engine to oil failure.

5k sounds about right, really it comes down to the 'rub it between your thumb and index and see if it still slides or sticks' test.

5000 is the new 3000. I sold 3000 mile oil changes at the dealership and thought it was overkill but................I saw some engine failures at the lower intervals, mostly camshafts. My Cousin never heard the "3 months" part of 3 months/3000 miles. She lives close to where she works and only puts on a thousand miles or so per year. Her 2 year old car got a warranty engine. She lost a cam and it sent metal throughout. I change once a year on my Dart but I only drive 1500-2000 miles. I use quality oil with a bit of zinc additive,a quality Wix filter, and always get it up to operating temp. No short trip driving. I think now days the oil quality is better and the engines run cleaner with the fuel injection. The oil isn't contaminated and fuel diluted like it was when every car had a carburetor with a choke. You can safely run 5000 miles as long as it doesn't take you 2 years to get there. tmm

On our race bikes, I changed the oil after every 2 rides. I also put in a new spark plug after the practice on race day.

Never had an engine failure. Never fouled out at the beginning of a race.

For our seasonal cars which do not get heavy miles, I too only change oil / filter in the spring.

For the car that my wife puts crazy kms on, we change every 6K kms..

For my truck and son's beater, twice a year..spring and fall..

It really depends on how hard you are on your oil.

old engine = more often
new engine = more often
carborated = more often
Harsh environment = more often
Hard running = More often

-
Back