arrgg!!! timing

-

devil dawg

Reaction score
:banghead: Ive been trying to get the timing set on my 440. my question...Does a 77 440 from a rv have a different timing tab location on the cover than a regular 440? My engine has a chrome cover and timing tab and i dont have the factory one to go by. My reason for asking is when I get the timing mark on the ballancer up around the marks on the tab it just dies out. Ive tried to set the idle up to make up for it but it isint working. The car starts and runs when the timing mark is about 2 or so inches below the tab.
a little info on the engine:
77 440
10-1 comp
stealth heads
292 purple shaft
850 demon
team g intake
Any input would be greatly appreciated :prayer:

Im not sure but the 440 I have is from an RV also. The timing marks for it were on the trans bell housing. It doesnt even have timing marks on the timing chain cover.

The only correct answer is to check the marks. I believe some of the truck/ motorhome stuff was different, and balancer outer rings HAVE been known to slip

Get yourself a piston stop like this:

(or make one from a plug)

http://www.jerrybramlett.net/images/pic_installation.jpg

You may have to play with the length the first time you use it. Remove the no 1 plug, make sure the piston is "down a ways" and remove the battery ground. Install the device, and wrench the engine around until the piston stops on the device.

You are not trying for TDC, but rather, with the piston down in the bore just a ways

When the crank stops, make a temporary mark exactly under the TDC on the timng tab on the balancer.

Turn the engine CCW and do the same thing.

Now you'll have two marks some distance apart. True TDC is halfway in between, and if the original is correct, that is where it will be.

The only correct answer is to check the marks. I believe some of the truck/ motorhome stuff was different, and balancer outer rings HAVE been known to slip

Get yourself a piston stop like this:

(or make one from a plug)

http://www.jerrybramlett.net/images/pic_installation.jpg

You may have to play with the length the first time you use it. Remove the no 1 plug, make sure the piston is "down a ways" and remove the battery ground. Install the device, and wrench the engine around until the piston stops on the device.

You are not trying for TDC, but rather, with the piston down in the bore just a ways

When the crank stops, make a temporary mark exactly under the TDC on the timng tab on the balancer.

Turn the engine CCW and do the same thing.

Now you'll have two marks some distance apart. True TDC is halfway in between, and if the original is correct, that is where it will be.
X2, try to hook up a vacuum guage and time for maximum vacuum for now.

thanks for the info guys.. i fooled around with it and got the timing mark up to the tab but every once in a while it will backfire through the carb. i guess finding true tdc and making my own marks to go by is the only option.

thanks for the info guys.. i fooled around with it and got the timing mark up to the tab but every once in a while it will backfire through the carb. i guess finding true tdc and making my own marks to go by is the only option.

Not the only option. ADvance it till it rattles when you stomp it and back it off 5 to 10 degrees. Slowly advance it till it runs good with no spark knock.buy a set of plugs and change one out every so often and learn to read them.A nice tan color and no speckles and youre good. You can also tune it with a vacuum gauge. Advance it for the best vacuum and if it dont rattle youre good.How do you know optimum timing anyway.

daredevil, not sure on the timing yet. just getting started on this one. ive always had a buddy of mine do the timing part but he moved so im on my own now...lol learning as i go.
i want to thank you all for the info. hopefully ill get it lined out soon so i can drive it again.

Hillbilly timing tape it.

Put TDC at 10btdc, make a mark at 5ATDC. Roll that new mark to 10BTDC and make a mark at 5ATDC. Scribe each mark and you now have timing marks at 0, 15BTDC and 30BTDC.

HillbillyTimingtape002.jpg

IMO, you CAN NOT time that engine with that cam using total timing method... PERIOD! You need to set the initial so it runs well, then tailor mechanical advance mechanism to hit your total number. Total timing method will make it run like crap at idle, as you've found out.

My guess it's going to want about 20-24* initial, why it's way below your timing mark, and another 10-15 mechanical advance. If it's an old style mopar distributor, it requires some welding to change the amount of mechanical advance.

-
Back