Ashtray assembly removal

-

360Scamp

Mopar or No Car
Reaction score
Im wanting to remove the entire ashtray assembly so I can clean it up as I dont use it for ashes, and Im wanting to install a button next to the cigar lighter. There are 2 screws on the top and 2 screws on the bottom below the ashtray lid is that how it comes out by removing those 4 screws?

Also how does the pop down part of ashtray come out that hides the ashtray?

See that tab in the back of the ashtray, push down on it and rotate the lid downward and pull it out. It rides on round bar that goes from one side to the other.

The whole unit will come out, ashtray and the lid itself.

It helps to lift it closed slightly before pushing down on the tab, you will see why when you try it.

See that tab in the back of the ashtray, push down on it and rotate the lid downward and pull it out. It rides on round bar that goes from one side to the other.

The whole unit will come out, ashtray and the lid itself.

It helps to lift it closed slightly before pushing down on the tab, you will see why when you try it.

Thank you, I tried that but I didnt want to push too hard and break anything

Thank you, I tried that but I didnt want to push too hard and break anything

Like I said lift up slightly like you are closing the lid (that allows the little clip to clear the bracket), push down on the tab and then rotate it down and out.

I got it out thanks Bad Sport
Now to get the cigar lighter assembly out to install my button

I don't recall ever removing that assembly in the last 40 years, but I'm guessing removing those 4 screws would be a good start, lol.

Yea the 4 screws hold that in but it wont come out unless the radio is out.

Well anyway this is my idea. With the cigar lighter out of the way and with little modification this will take its place, an electric trunk release

Im gonna wire it up to the old cigar lighter wiring. The only thing is that when I disconnected the plug from the cigar lighter the wire fell from under the dash so now I have to figure out where the wire is. There are 2 wires that are hanging behind the ashtray with nothing to them, so Im gonna have to check which wire it is.

The lighter wire is pink or red. The orange wire was to the ash tray lamp.

-
Back