Ashtray button

-

sr71mopar

moparless again
Reaction score
67 Barracuda. Button to the left of the cigarette lighter. Is it factory? Looks like it could be. If it is, whats it for?

DSCN4586[1].JPG

Nope, start tracing the wires. Interesting to see what it was put there for!

Last edited:
I used my console ashtray lighter hole for a line lock switch. It was convenient on race day. Unless I just snubbed a cig in that little tray!:lol:

Used the included line lock switch on the shifter for 2nd stage NOS. 1st stage was on a carb switch at WOT. car had 2 other lighters. One in the main ashtray and the cigar lighter. even As a smoker I saw no need for three!

C585E01D-9E8B-4570-BA17-B7BAD89427AD.jpeg

Last edited:
I used my console ashtray lighter hole for a line lock switch. It was convenient on race day. Unless I just snubbed a cig in that little tray!:lol:

Used the included line lock switch on the shifter for 2nd stage NOS. 1st stage was on a carb switch at WOT. car had 2 other lighters. One in the main ashtray and the cigar lighter. even As a smoker I saw no need for three!

View attachment 1715371391

I put my main power switch in that spot for my stereo system.
Useful little spot there.:D

I put my main power switch in that spot for my stereo system.
Useful little spot there.:D

I need none of them anymore! No smoking in the car and I have quit, well some vape. No NOS and no line lock. I did not even install the cigar lighter back in! I did put the lighter back in the main tray Incase I needed 12v.

If the car came with a foot operated windshield washer the PO may have installed a push button for the washer pump.

If the car came with a foot operated windshield washer the PO may have installed a push button for the washer pump.

True, but my foot pump works just fine! How lazy can you get?

Sorry, didn't see the pump in the photo, follow the wires, could be a hundred things.........wait, is that your car??

Sorry, didn't see the pump in the photo, follow the wires, could be a hundred things.........wait, is that your car??

I did not either, was not a dish to you. The OP can only tell us what it was used for. I was just saying.

I need none of them anymore! No smoking in the car and I have quit, well some vape. No NOS and no line lock. I did not even install the cigar lighter back in! I did put the lighter back in the main tray Incase I needed 12v.
I bought a receptacle that replaces the lighter and is a device charging port. It shows digital voltage in, and digital amps draw on phone. Going to put this in place of the lighter socket.

I bought a receptacle that replaces the lighter and is a device charging port. It shows digital voltage in, and digital amps draw on phone. Going to put this in place of the lighter socket.
Me tool, being mine was without cigar lighter. About the most electronic thing outside of an ignition module I would put on one of these cars. Great place for a nitrous system arming switch, too!

Me tool, being mine was without cigar lighter. About the most electronic thing outside of an ignition module I would put on one of these cars. Great place for a nitrous system arming switch, too!

Reason I used that hole for the line lock was it was a quickie burnout helper to save some tranny use and the line lock provided switch on the shifter made for easy 2nd stage NOS activation once launched. Like said was a smoker and always on edge so there was likely a smoldering butt in that little tray.

Switch is still there but wired to nothing.

F735BA9A-2D13-48E3-874B-930929E23226.jpeg

This is the one I bought. Actually bought 3 of them. One for my pickup, one for each cuda. You can get them in red, blue, or green illumination. Mine are all green. These require a hole cut out a bit bigger than the lighter socket hole. It shows Amps usage only when you plug in a device showing amp draw, otherwise it stays at zero.

Volts shows vehicles voltage obviously. I will prob mod the pickup ashtray for this. But on the cars I am now thinking a custom under dash panel for oil psi, water temp, and a 3rd hole to the right of the gages for this device.

Screenshot_20190802-230807_eBay.jpg

I'm intrigued by the period correct / OEM appearance of that switch. Would love to know what it was for. My wild guess is power antenna.

Thats what I was thinking. It looks natural. The lighter is offset to make room for something, and the button itself looks period correct mopar. There are no wires connected to it. It has two blade connectors inline.

The lighter is not offset.

Bummer there are no wires to tell us what it may have been used for. Was curious.

Here is my 69, lighter is in the same position.

1F16DB4C-D0F1-4EE8-AA4D-D0852EC4A63B.jpeg

I think the factory offset the lighter a bit simply to give it a better path by the trays bumper pad. Otherwise... collide with the tray, drop it, burn seat, carpet, console, hand, repeat.
Our first 67 notch back ( 40 years ago ) came with reverb unit wired to the radio. Its knob was added through the bezel beside the radio. I don't recall what it looked like or how many wires it had. I think it turned like a volume control.

I think we have a winner. There are wires going to the trunk latch. I wonder what this came off of. Looks like I have a one of none. Maybe adapted from another car?

DSCN4591[1].JPG

-
Back