Assassin bar u-bolt plate bent

-

gumper

Reaction score
Installed my new Assassins bars to take the place of Caltracs. Torqued the new Calvert u-bolts down to 60 ft lbs per the Calvert split mono specs, and the plates distorted a bit. Smith Racecraft doesn’t send any torque specs in their single sheet installation instructions. I’m not too overly concerned, but it makes me wonder what’s going to happen when the power starts hitting these plates? I’m half tempted to take them off, flatten it out and weld a brace on.

The other side gave me no problem.

Thoughts?

0B5B124B-F869-45DF-A686-06D4AF7BBB37.jpeg

Installed my new Assassins bars to take the place of Caltracs. Torqued the new Calvert u-bolts down to 60 ft lbs per the Calvert split mono specs, and the plates distorted a bit. Smith Racecraft doesn’t send any torque specs in their single sheet installation instructions. I’m not too overly concerned, but it makes me wonder what’s going to happen when the power starts hitting these plates? I’m half tempted to take them off, flatten it out and weld a brace on.

The other side gave me no problem.

Thoughts?

View attachment 1716086328
That's interesting, I'll have to look at mine to see if it did that as well.

I wonder what the torque spec is on that? You are aware the factory torque spec on the spring plates is only 45LBFT. The reason for that is so the springs can slip instead of bind. I'd like to see what the specs are for that. I bet they were over torqued.

I wonder what the torque spec is on that? You are aware the factory torque spec on the spring plates is only 45LBFT. The reason for that is so the springs can slip instead of bind. I'd like to see what the specs are for that. I bet they were over torqued.
I would’ve been interested to see what they are too. 15 extra pounds shouldn’t bend them. The Calvert split mono u-bolt torque is 60-70.

This is the entirety of the directions. No torque specs for their mounts whatsoever.

A759E70B-7F1A-4063-85FD-B6EBC3FB2A94.jpeg

How far from the spring are those u-bolts? The u-bolts should be right up against the spring, but it almost looks like there's a gap between the bolt and spring. Maybe it's just the camera angle. Also, is there something like a washer under the locating pin that may be hanging it up?

I'd try calling the folks who make the Assassin bars and ask what they recommend for a torque spec and tell them about this. The 60-70 ftlb spec from Calvert will work fine - at least it should.

How far from the spring are those u-bolts? The u-bolts should be right up against the spring, but it almost looks like there's a gap between the bolt and spring. Maybe it's just the camera angle. Also, is there something like a washer under the locating pin that may be hanging it up?

I'd try calling the folks who make the Assassin bars and ask what they recommend for a torque spec and tell them about this. The 60-70 ftlb spec from Calvert will work fine - at least it should.
The bolts walked themselves away from the spring a bit as the plates bent. The spring pin is in the hole as it should be, and the plate is flush with the spring face itself.

Couldn’t help it. Took it off, hammered it flat, and welded some key stock on to keep it from bending, and the u-bolts from moving to the side. These have oblong holes for universal fitment, and I don’t care for it.
The drivers side didn’t bend like this one, so I left it alone. Double checked the torque with two different wrenches.

63F4EF7F-08CC-4ECB-8266-9C56081FA24D.jpeg

Couldn’t help it. Took it off, hammered it flat, and welded some key stock on to keep it from bending, and the u-bolts from moving to the side. These have oblong holes for universal fitment, and I don’t care for it.
The drivers side didn’t bend like this one, so I left it alone. Double checked the torque with two different wrenches.

View attachment 1716086815

That’s a good fix. I’ll have to look at mine tomorrow and see if they are tweaked. If they are didn’t notice it.

I dont like the oblong holes in them. It took me a few tries to get them tightened without the u bolts slipping out of their spot. Otherwise, I think the assassin bars area nice kit.

You guys are lucky that you don't have to fight the outside u bolt slipping down the axle ends lol.
I had to tighten mine a couple times to get my Dana centered properly so my wheels didn't sit farther out on either side.
Guess that's what I get for not using the ladder bars and going with leaf springs

Wouldn’t the spring center bolt locate the differential where it’s supposed to be?

Wouldn’t the spring center bolt locate the differential where it’s supposed to be?
If I was able to use any of the stock or inboard locations for mounting. In order to make this rear end work I had to go 4 inches inboard and the outside 2 u bolts still set on the ends.
I should mention I'm having to make slider mounts , when those are located the dif will sit where it should but my side to side will still need to be checked because there's a little play in the suspension

IMG_20220620_183221045.jpg

If I was able to use any of the stock or inboard locations for mounting. In order to make this rear end work I had to go 4 inches inboard and the outside 2 u bolts still set on the ends.
I should mention I'm having to make slider mounts , when those are located the dif will sit where it should but my side to side will still need to be checked because there's a little play in the suspension

View attachment 1716088524
is the portion of the housing just to the left of the u-bolt in the picture a larger diameter?

one 8-3/4 housing I had was narrowed to where the u-bolt sat on the "bearing housing"(?), and a u-bolt from a 4X4 was used along with elongating the holes in the plate.
Maybe I'll do something like that or weld a stop on the top of the axle tube end bearing housing thingy lol. It's probably a half inch bigger in diameter than the tube which is 3 inch I believe. I did have to open up the ends of the perches to so they didn't sit at a 20 degree angle

sorry for my lack of correct names of these here parts...but the welded stop sounds like an answer to these angling problems.

sorry for my lack of correct names of these here parts...but the welded stop sounds like an answer to these angling problems.
No problem, I don't know what it's called either.
Thanks yes I'm going to do that.

-
Back