Assembling 8 3/4....

-

sledger46

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am getting ready to assemble the housing and I can't remember the order of the gaskets on the end of the tubes. There is a gasket between the tube end and the backing plate, but is there another gasket between the backing plate and the bearing plate on the axle? I don't remember one, but now that I am putting it together, it seems like it would leak without a gasket on both sides of the backing plate. Is there an exploded view I could look at?
Thanks

IIRC there is a rubber coated steel gasket between the housing end and the backing plate and a white foam (or sometimes fiber) gasket between the backing plate and axle retaining plate. Don't forget to set the bearing play w/the adjuster (.008"-.018") and lock it down. Of course, if you have swapped to Green bearings with the o-rings on the O.D., you don't need the foam/fiber gaskets behind the retainer and don't use the adjusters as they're not tapered rollers. Hope this isn't too late.

This was exactly the information I was looking for. I have green bearings pressed on the axles, so I will only need the gasket behind the backing plate.

Thanks!

IIRC there is a rubber coated steel gasket between the housing end and the backing plate and a white foam (or sometimes fiber) gasket between the backing plate and axle retaining plate. Don't forget to set the bearing play w/the adjuster (.008"-.018") and lock it down. Of course, if you have swapped to Green bearings with the o-rings on the O.D., you don't need the foam/fiber gaskets behind the retainer and don't use the adjusters as they're not tapered rollers. Hope this isn't too late.

If memory serves me right I think you also have a seal on each end that rides inside the axle housing.

All I had for gaskets was a single paper material gasket. I put in new axle seals in the tubes. I then coated the paper gasket with a thin coating of RTV and put it on the end of the axle tube, followed by the backing plate. I then slide in the axle with the green bearings pressed on and tightened down the end plate. I never saw a steel, rubber lipped gasket. Is it still required with green bearings?
Thanks,

I just did mine a couple weeks ago...tapered bearings. Here is the link

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=101569

Hey sledger46, I would think you would still need the steel gasket, but I dont know, as I used oem bearings. Mine wasnt rubber lipped, it was steel with a small lip around the perimeter. Someone might chime in here, but I would give the guys you bought the bearing from and see what they say. Sorry I couldnt be more help

I was kind of wondering the same thing about the gaskets and which ones are needed.

GOt a new housing for my 70 340 Swinger, got a good 323 posi unit, original axles with the new green bearings pressed on the axles. The guy I got this set from included a thin gasket with the axles.

Im a little confused, I have the steel gaskets, and I have the foam gaskets, both of which the factory used. Im pretty sure the steel gaskets go on the rearend housing itself, then the backing plates go on. Right? After that you would place the foam gaskets on the backing plate and then bolt the axles down. Right? But, what about the gaskets that was included with the axles? its not metal or foam, more like intake gasket material and thin.

Maybe this will help. All of them I have done I put the paper gasket on the axle flange, the metal gasket immediately behind the retainer. The foam gasket goes immediately behind the backing plate.

Attachments

• 8_75moparrearend.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 306
All "A" body 8 3/4 rears I have done: Axle housing, then Metal gasket, then backing plate, then foam gasket, then retainer flange.

Not sure about an open differential, but think it would be the same as a sure grip:
When using the green bearings, the thrust block in the center of the differential, must be removed, or each axle shortened 3/16 inch.

All "A" body 8 3/4 rears I have done: Axle housing, then Metal gasket, then backing plate, then foam gasket, then retainer flange.

Not sure about an open differential, but think it would be the same as a sure grip:
When using the green bearings, the thrust block in the center of the differential, must be removed, or each axle shortened 3/16 inch.

Ok, that sounds about right and what I was originally thinking. But, with the green bearings , there is a paper type gasket that goes against that metal flange/retainer that's on the axle - so, do you still need the foam gasket that the factory used between it and the backing plate? or is that paper thin gasket good enough by itself? or maybe you use them both? this is where I am having trouble lol. Restoring a 1970 Dart Swinger 340 - Original 340 4 speed car with TX9 color codes inside and out ( Velvet Black )

-
Back